1934 FIFA World Cup Final
The Stadio Nazionale PNF held the final
|Event||1934 FIFA World Cup|
|After extra time|
|Date||10 June 1934|
|Venue||Stadio Nazionale PNF, Rome|
|Referee||Ivan Eklind (Sweden)|
The 1934 FIFA World Cup Final was a football match that took place on 10 June 1934 to determine the winner of the 1934 FIFA World Cup. It was the final of the second FIFA World Cup, a quadrennial tournament contested by the men's national teams of the member associations of FIFA. The match was between Italy and Czechoslovakia at the Stadio Nazionale PNF in Rome, Italy.
In the final it was Italy who came back from a one goal deficit to win the match 2–1 in a match which had temperatures approaching 40 °C (104 °F).
After Uruguay refused to participate for the 1934 edition due to the lack of European teams in the previous tourmanet and Argentina getting eliminated in the first round of the competition by Sweden, this meant that the competition would be seeing two different finalists.
For both nations this was the first time that they were competing in the FIFA World Cup. It was also the eleventh meeting between the two teams with the previous match being in the 1933–35 Central European International Cup with Italy winning the match at Florence, Italy 2-0 to level the head to head in this match to three all with four draws.
Route to the final
|United States||7–1||Round of 16||Romania||2–1|
Czechoslovakia took the lead with 19 minutes remaining through Antonín Puč. They held the lead for only 10 minutes though, as Italy drew level through striker Raimundo Orsi. There were no more goals in regulation so the match was forced to go into extra time, the first World Cup final to do so. With just five minutes played in extra time, Italy took the lead with a goal from Angelo Schiavio and they held on for the victory.
- Kelly, Jon (25 February 2015). "What happened to the Qatar World Cup's cooling technology?". BBC. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "František Plánička: Slávny brankár chytal aj so zlomeným lakt'om!". Život (in Slovak). 30 May 2009. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- Freddi 2006:20
- "FIFA World Cup: Milestones, facts & figures. Statistical Kit 7" (PDF). FIFA. 26 March 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 May 2013.
- "Italy-Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia matches 1922-2013". 21 December 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- 1934 FIFA World Cup Final at Planet World Cup