Airport T1 (Barcelona Metro)
This article needs to be updated.April 2019)(
|TMB rapid transit station|
Screen doors at the station's island platform.
|Location||Barcelona–El Prat Airport|
08820 El Prat de Llobregat
|Operated by||Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona (TMB)|
|Line(s)||Barcelona Metro line 9|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Parking||Several airport parking garages serving Barcelona–El Prat Airport's terminal T1 are located nearby.|
|Disabled access||The station is fully handicap-accessible.|
|Fare zone||1 (ATM Àrea de Barcelona)|
|Opening||12 February 2016|
Airport T1 (Catalan: Aeroport T1) is a Barcelona Metro station that serves terminal T1 of Barcelona–El Prat Airport, in the municipality of El Prat de Llobregat, to the southwest of Barcelona. It is the southern terminus of the airport branch of Barcelona Metro line 9 (L9) and is operated by Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona (TMB).
Opened in 2016, the station is located underneath the airport terminal and consists of two levels. The trains run on the lower level, where there is a 16-metre (52 ft) island platform featuring screen doors. Adjacent to the station is a depot that can accommodate 12 trains. A new commuter rail link is projected to reach the station around 2018.[needs update]
A tunnelling machine began excavating the tunnel for Barcelona Metro line 9 from Mas Blau to the Airport T1 station in March 2008 and finished in April 2009. The completion of the station's main structure was part of the construction of terminal T1, which opened in June 2009.
When the terminal opened, the airport branch of L9 was expected to be ready for passenger service in 2012. In March 2012, however, the Government of Catalonia announced that the opening date for the 20-kilometre (12 mi) section of the line between the airport terminals and Zona Universitària station would be postponed until 2014. In June 2014, the government announced that the section, apart from the Airport Cargo Terminal, La Ribera and Camp Nou stations, would open in the first half of 2016. The first day of passenger service was 12 February 2016.
Service on the airport section of Barcelona Metro line 9 (L9), designated L9 Sud ("South"), operates driverless with a service frequency of 7 minutes in each direction between Airport T1 and Zona Universitària in western Barcelona. Additional partial services may be added if necessary, reducing the frequency to 4 minutes. Passengers using the metro stations located at the airport terminals are required to purchase a special ticket known as an airport ticket; basic single tickets issued by the operating company Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona (TMB) are not valid. The airport ticket costs €4.50 and also gives access to the rest of the TMB-operated Barcelona Metro system. Multiple-use tickets and unlimited passes issued by the Autoritat del Transport Metropolità (ATM)—a public agency in charge of coordinating public transportation operators in the Barcelona area—are valid, with the exception of the T-10 ten-trip ticket.
Commuter rail services to central Barcelona will also serve the station once a new airport rail link is built. Although a rail link has existed since 1975, it only reaches terminal T2, which is 1.8 kilometres (1.1 mi) from terminal T1. Construction work for the new link began in July 2015, and the project is expected to be completed in 2018. There is also a project to extend Barcelona Metro line 2 (L2) southwards using the route of the L9 between Parc Logístic and Airport T1 stations.
- Borràs, Bernat. "el metro de Barcelona - línia L9 sud - Aeroport T1" [Barcelona Metro - line L9 sud - Airport T1]. trenscat.cat (in Catalan). Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "Es completa el túnel de l'L9 fins a la nova terminal de l'Aeroport de Barcelona" [Barcelona Metro line 9 tunnel completed after reaching Barcelona Airport's new terminal] (PDF). Ifercat (Press release) (in Catalan). Generalitat of Catalonia. 17 April 2009. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "La línia L9 connectarà el 2014 l'aeroport amb Zona Universitària i les principals línies metropolitanes de transport de viatgers" [Barcelona Metro line 9 to link the airport to Zona Universitària and the main metropolitan public transport lines in 2014] (PDF). Sala de premsa (Press release) (in Catalan). Generalitat of Catalonia. 21 March 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "L'L9 arribarà a l'Aeroport del Prat el primer semestre de 2016" [Barcelona Metro line 9 to serve Barcelona–El Prat Airport in the first six months of 2016] (PDF). Sala de premsa (Press release) (in Catalan). Generalitat of Catalonia. 4 June 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "El conseller Rull anuncia la posada en servei del nou tram de l'L9 el 12 de febrer" [Minister Rull sets the opening date of Line 9's new section for 12 February] (PDF). Sala de premsa (Press release) (in Catalan). Generalitat of Catalonia. 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Bitllets a l'aeroport" [Airport link tickets] (in Catalan). Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona. Archived from the original on 12 February 2016. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "L'ATM aprova la rebaixa dels abonaments de 2 a 6 zones, l'ampliació de la T-12 fins els 14 anys i la congelació de la resta de títols" [The ATM passes a price reduction of all of its tickets and passes of 2 to 6 zones, the age extension to 14 years for the T-12, and a price freeze for the rest of the ATM passes and tickets] (PDF) (Press release) (in Catalan). Autoritat del Transport Metropolità. 23 December 2015. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Distance measured using Google Maps's "Distance Measurement Tool".[original research?]
- "Pastor asiste al inicio de las obras de la lanzadera ferroviaria al Aeropuerto de Barcelona-El Prat" [Pastor attends the start of the construction works of the new Barcelona–El Prat Airport rail link] (PDF) (Press release) (in Spanish). Ministry of Public Works and Transport. Government of Spain. 22 July 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Fitxes de les actuacions". Pla Director d'Infraestructures del transport públic col·lectiu de la regió metropolitana de Barcelona 2011-2020 [2011–2020 Infrastructure Master Plan for the public transport system in the Barcelona metropolitan area] (PDF) (Report) (in Catalan). Autoritat del Transport Metropolità. pp. 124–125. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aeroport T1 metrostation.|