Boulevard de Sébastopol
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
boulevard de Sébastopol today
|Length||1,332 m (4,370 ft)|
|Width||30 m (98 ft)|
|Arrondissement||1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th|
|Quarter||Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois . Halles . Bonne Nouvelle . Sainte-Avoye . Arts et Métiers . Saint-Merri|
|Completion||Déc. du 29 septembre 1854 (UP). Déc. du 23 août 1858 : 1° raccordement des côtés impair et pair avec le côté pair de la rue Greneta; 2° au droit du n° 107 (partie) ; 3° au droit du square Chautemps.|
|Denomination||Déc. du 25 septembre 1855.|
The boulevard is 1.3 km in length, starting from the place du Châtelet and ends at the boulevard Saint-Denis, when it becomes the Boulevard de Strasbourg. The boulevard is a main thoroughfare, and consists of four vehicular lanes, one of which is reserved for buses.
|Located near the Métro stations: Châtelet, Strasbourg – Saint-Denis and Réaumur Sébastopol.|
The boulevard de Sébastopol is one of the most important roads opened up by the Baron Haussmann during his transformation of Paris in the 1850s. It was conceived as a major artery running a north–south axis across Paris, leading to the Gare de l'Est.
Louis-Napoleon, when touring with Tsar Alexander II of Russia in 1867 during the Exposition Universelle (1867), had decided on Boulevard de Sébastopol as a perfectly peaceful area to bring the foreign guest through. But Louis-Napoleon was disappointed, as shouts from crowds surrounding their vehicle could be heard, "Long live Poland!" 
- Alistair Horne (1965). The Fall of Paris: The Siege and the Commune 1870-1. St. Martin's Press, New York. pp. 11–12.
- Official nomenclature of Parisian roads (in French)