Category:Populated places on the Aare
Pages in category "Populated places on the Aare"
The following 19 pages are in this category, out of 19 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 19 pages are in this category, out of 19 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Aarau – Aarau is a town, a municipality, and the capital of the northern Swiss canton of Aargau. The town is also the capital of the district of Aarau and it is German-speaking and predominantly Protestant. The municipality borders directly on the canton of Solothurn to the west and it is the second-largest town in Aargau after Wettingen. At the beginning of 2010 Rohr became a suburb of Aarau, the official language of Aarau is Swiss Standard German, but the main spoken language is the local variant of the Alemannic Swiss German dialect. The old city of Aarau is situated on an outcrop at a narrowing of the Aare river valley. Newer districts of the city lie to the south and east of the outcrop, as well as higher up the mountain, and in the valley on both sides of the Aare. The neighboring municipalities are Küttigen to the north, Rohr and Buchs to the east, Suhr to the south-east, Unterentfelden to the south, Aarau and the nearby neighboring municipalities have grown together and now form an interconnected agglomeration. The only exception is Unterentfelden whose settlements are divided from Aarau by the forests of Gönhard. Approximately nine-tenths of the city is south of the Aar, and it has an area, as of 2006, of 8.9 km2. Of this area,6. 3% is used for agricultural purposes, of the rest of the land,55. 2% is settled and the remainder is non-productive. The lowest elevation,365 meters, is found at the banks of the Aar, a few artifacts from the Neolithic period were found in Aarau. Near the location of the present train station, the ruins of a settlement from the Bronze Age have been excavated, the Roman road between Salodurum and Vindonissa passed through the area, along the route now covered by the Bahnhofstrasse. In 1976 divers in the Aare found part of a wide wooden bridge from the late Roman times. Aarau was founded around AD1240 by the counts of Kyburg, Aarau is first mentioned in 1248 as Arowe. Around 1250 it was mentioned as Arowa, however the first mention of a city sized settlement was in 1256. The town was ruled from the Rore tower, which has incorporated into the modern city hall. In 1273 the counts of Kyburg died out, agnes of Kyburg, who had no male relations, sold the familys lands to King Rudolf I von Habsburg. He granted Aarau its city rights in 1283, in the 14th century the city was expanded in two stages, and a second defensive wall was constructed
2. Aarberg – Aarberg is a historic town and a municipality in the Seeland administrative district in the canton of Bern in Switzerland. Aarberg lies 20 kilometers from Bern above the river Aare, with an area of 7.93 km2, Aarberg borders Bargen, Kappelen, Lyss, Radelfingen and Seedorf. Aarberg is not to be confused with Aarburg in Aargau or with Aarbergen in Germany, the town was once located on an island with the Aare and Little Aare flowing around it. The old town grew up around the edge of the island with an open plaza in the middle. In addition to the old town, Aarberg also includes the new quarter. The official language of Aarberg is German, but the spoken language is the local variant of the Alemannic Swiss German dialect. Where Aarberg now stands was once an island surrounded by the Aare, by 1138 there was a small pilgrim home and hospital with a bridge, the Bargenbrügg, over the Aare. This bridge was a key river crossing from Bern to Büren an der Aare, the town itself was founded between 1220 and 1225 by count Ulrich III of Neuchâtel. The count had recently acquired the rulership over this region and needed a location from which to rule. The island and the key bridge was a location for a town. Aarberg is first mentioned in 1236 as Arberc, in 1267 it was mentioned as opidum de Arberch. By the 14th century, Aarberg lay along the most important of the three roads in the region. The old Roman roads that connected Solothurn, Aarberg and Murten as well as southern Germany with Lyon, the oldest official seal of citizenship in the town dates from 1249. Ulrich IV reaffirmed the privileges in 1271. Initially the town was unwalled with two rows of houses around a central narrow plaza. Following fires in 1419 and 1477 the town was rebuilt in stone and set back about 10 m creating the current, the town was besieged in 1339,1382 and 1386 but not taken. In 1358 the Graf Peter von Aarberg was in financial difficulties, after years of unsuccessful attempts, in 1377-79 he was able to sell the town and his rights as ruler to Bern. The Bernese bailiff took up residence in Aarberg Castle in 1379, in 1414, the toll on the bridges over the Aar as well as the expensive construction and repair on the bridges, was given to Bern
3. Aarwangen – Aarwangen is a village and a municipality in the Oberaargau administrative district in the canton of Bern in Switzerland. Aarwangen is first mentioned in 1255 as villa Arwangen, Aarwangen grew from a fortified toll crossing over the river Aare, in a region where there were few realistic crossing places. The first bridge was built in the years of the 13th century. During the 18th century, by road, and the 19th century, by rail, the municipal coat of arms is black and silver. When the Aarwangen family died out in the year 1350 they were succeeded by, the Grünenberg family did not last long and had already disappeared from the archives by the early 14th century, when the city of Bern established sovereignty over the region. Thus the Bailiffs of Bern came to Aarwangen, altogether,75 Bailiffs resided in the castle, where their coat of arms, with its distinctive black bear, is still displayed prominently on the outer wall. They stayed until the revolt, and the end of the Bernese city state, in the spring of 1798, during which the castle sustained serious damage, in the year 1803 the canton Bern was divided into official districts and Aarwangen became seat of the district of Aarwangen. The castle was in private hands for a few years, until it was repurchased and restored by the Canton of Bern where it has become the district court, Aarwangen has an area of 9.87 km2. Of this area,4.5 km2 or 45. 6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 3.57 km2 or 36. 2% is forested. Of the rest of the land,1.48 km2 or 15. 0% is settled,0.29 km2 or 2. 9% is either rivers or lakes and 0.03 km2 or 0. 3% is unproductive land. Of the built up area, industrial buildings made up 1. 4% of the area while housing and buildings made up 8. 8%. Of the agricultural land,31. 0% is used for growing crops and 12. 1% is pastures, all the water in the municipality is flowing water. The municipality is located on the bank of the Aare. It consists of the village of Aarwangen with the village sections of Bleuerain, Mumenthal, Schürhof, Vorstadt, Hard and Moosberg. The blazon of the coat of arms is Per pale Sable. Aarwangen has a population of 4,408, as of 2010,12. 3% of the population are resident foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has changed at a rate of 4. 7%, migration accounted for 3. 9%, while births and deaths accounted for 2. 1%. Most of the population speaks German as their first language, Albanian is the second most common, there are 16 people who speak French,38 people who speak Italian and 4 people who speak Romansh
4. Bern – The city of Bern or Berne is the de facto capital of Switzerland, referred to by the Swiss as their Bundesstadt, or federal city. With a population of 141,762, Bern is the fourth-most populous city in Switzerland, the Bern agglomeration, which includes 36 municipalities, had a population of 406,900 in 2014. The metropolitan area had a population of 660,000 in 2000, Bern is also the capital of the canton of Bern, the second-most populous of Switzerlands cantons. The official language in Bern is German, but the language is an Alemannic Swiss German dialect. In 1983, the old town in the centre of Bern became a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Bern is ranked among the top ten cities for the best quality of life. The etymology of the name Bern is uncertain and it has long been considered likely that the city was named after the Italian city of Verona, which at the time was known as Bern in Middle High German. As a result of the find of the Bern zinc tablet in the 1980s, it is now common to assume that the city was named after a pre-existing toponym of Celtic origin. The bear was the animal of the seal and coat of arms of Bern from at least the 1220s. The earliest reference to the keeping of bears in the Bärengraben dates to the 1440s. No archaeological evidence that indicates a settlement on the site of city centre prior to the 12th century has been found so far. In antiquity, a Celtic oppidum stood on the Engehalbinsel north of Bern, fortified since the second century BC, during the Roman era, a Gallo-Roman vicus was on the same site. The Bern zinc tablet has the name Brenodor, in the Early Middle Ages, a settlement in Bümpliz, now a city district of Bern, was some 4 km from the medieval city. The medieval city is a foundation of the Zähringer ruling family, according to 14th-century historiography, Bern was founded in 1191 by Berthold V, Duke of Zähringen. In 1218, after Berthold died without an heir, Bern was made an imperial city by the Goldene Handfeste of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II. In 1353, Bern joined the Swiss Confederacy, becoming one of the eight cantons of the period of 1353 to 1481. The city grew out towards the west of the boundaries of the peninsula formed by the river Aare, the Zytglogge tower marked the western boundary of the city from 1191 until 1256, when the Käfigturm took over this role until 1345. It was, in turn, succeeded by the Christoffelturm until 1622, during the time of the Thirty Years War, two new fortifications – the so-called big and small Schanze – were built to protect the whole area of the peninsula
5. Brugg – Brugg is a municipality in the Swiss canton of Aargau and is the seat of the district of the same name. The city is located at the confluence of the Reuss, Aare and it is located approximately 16 kilometers from the cantonal capital of Aarau,28 kilometers from Zürich, and about 45 kilometers from Basel. Brugg is the Swiss German word for bridge and this is an allusion to the purpose of the city’s establishment under the Habsburgs, as the city is located at the narrowest point on the Aare in the Swiss midlands. The Habsburgs’ oldest known residence is located in the neighborhood of Altenburg, prior to their relocation to Austria, Brugg was the center of the Habsburgs territory. Between 1415 and Napoleon’s invasion in 1798, Brugg was a territory of Bern. Since then it has belonged to the Canton of Aargau, the city is the home of the Swiss Farmers’ Union and is the location of a campus of the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland. Bruggs Vindonissa museum is listed as a site of national significance. An engineer unit of the Swiss army is based in the city. The municipality extends for six kilometers from its southwestern to northeastern boundaries, approximately two kilometers further north two separate branches of the Aare come together near the village of Altenburg. In between these two branches, which came into being following the construction of a dam, is the forested island of Schacheninsel. Following a bend in the river, at which it alters its course from the north to the east, the Aare narrows from its previous width of about 130 meters to a mere 12 m. It is along this gorge that the center of Brugg formed. The Aare broadens again after it exits the gorge and departs the old town, a majority of the population in this area is concentrated in a small band along the southeastern slope of the Bruggerberg. In the northeastern-most part of town, nestled between the mouth of the Limmat and the Reinerberg is the village of Lauffohr, Brugg has an area, as of 2007, of 5.56 square kilometers. Of this area,0.74 square kilometers or 13. 3% is used for agricultural purposes, while1.58 square kilometers or 28. 4% is forested. Of the rest of the land,2.79 square kilometers or 50. 2% is settled,0.38 square kilometers or 6. 8% is either rivers or lakes and 0.03 km2 or 0. 5% is unproductive land. Of the built up area, industrial buildings made up 7. 9% of the area while housing and buildings made up 24. 1%. While parks, green belts and sports made up 3. 1%