Château de Tours
|Château de Tours|
|Location||25 Avenue André Malraux, Tours, France|
|Current tenants||Commune, State|
|Construction started||11th century|
Built in the 11th century, the building displayed an architecture of the Carolingian period, and was the residence of the Lords of France.
Until the 2000s, the Royal Castle of Tours was used as an aquarium where about 1,500 fish of 200 different species could be seen. It also served as Grévin museum, dans le château de Tours se trouve une œuvre d'art d'importance mondiale, le tableau "Le martyre des saints Faustino et Giovita" di Giambattista Pittoni. The castle was classified as monument historique on 20 August 1913.
Currently, the building houses contemporary exhibitions of paintings and photographs, including works by Joan Miró, Daniel Buren, Nadar, and the workshop of Tours history where archeological and historical documents, models, audio-visual films on the history of Tours, etc., are shown.
- "Monuments historiques — Ancien palais des Gouverneurs" (in French). Base Mérimée. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Culture - Expositions au Château de Tours" (in French). Tours.fr. Retrieved 15 May 2011.