Consultative Assembly (Luxembourg)
The Consultative Assembly (French: Assemblée Consultative) of Luxembourg was established in 1945 towards the end of World War II, when it became clear that the Chamber of Deputies could not fulfill its constitutional role. The point of the Consultative Assembly was to exercise those rights accorded to the Chamber by the constitution and laws, with the exception of legislative powers.
After World War II ended in Luxembourg on 10 September 1944, a session of the Chamber was called for 6 December 1944. Out of the 55 Deputies of the pre-war Chamber, only 25 were present. 9 Deputies had died, 10 were still in German prisons or concentration camps, and 9 were under suspicion of collaboration with the German occupation. As fewer than half the Deputies were there, there was no quorum, as demanded by the constitution. Therefore, the Chamber was not capable of functioning and taking decisions.
At the urging of the Unio'n, the umbrella organisation of the Resistance, a Consultative Assembly was established by Grand-Ducal decree on 22 February 1945, in order for the Liberation Government to be advised in its duties. The members of the Assembly were appointed by another decree on 12 March 1945. It started its activities just days after the last Luxembourgish villages, near Echternach, had been liberated.
From 20 March 1945 to 16 August 1945, 18 sessions of the Assembly took place.
- Arrêté grand-ducal du 22 février 1945 ayant pour objet l´institution d'une assemblée consultative, published in Mémorial Nr 8 of 27 February 1945, p. 65‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Arrêté grand-ducal du 12 mars 1945 portant nomination des membres de l´Assemblée consultative, published on Mémorial Nr 12 of 9 March 1945, p. 91 ‹See Tfd›(in French)