Council of State of Luxembourg
The Council of State (Luxembourgish: Staatsrot, French: Conseil d'État, German: Staatsrat) is an institution in Luxembourg that advises the national legislature, the Chamber of Deputies. Until 1 January 1997, it was also the country's supreme administrative court, but this function was ceded to the newly created Administrative Tribunal and Administrative Court.
The Council of State was created by King-Grand Duke William III in the Coup of 1856. It was originally entirely appointed by the Grand Duke, but this was changed in 1866, and, despite the roll-back of many changes brought about by the coup, the Council of State has otherwise remained.
The Council of State is composed of twenty-one councillors, who are appointed by the Grand Duke. Of these, at least eleven must hold doctorates in law. Neither number applies to members of the Grand Ducal Family, who may be appointed as additional members of the Council. Membership is restricted to Luxembourgian nationals, who are resident in the Grand Duchy, are in possession of their full civil and political rights, and are at least 30 years old. The final restriction does not apply to the heir to the Grand Duchy, who may be appointed as soon as he or she is granted that title.
|President||Georges Wivenes||CSV||1 August 2006|
|Vice Presidents||Agnès Durdu||DP||7 April 2006|
|Albert Rodesch||LSAP||13 February 2003|
|Councillors||Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke||Grand Duke||10 June 2006|
|Romain Nati||LSAP||15 October 2004|
|René Kollwelter||LSAP||29 April 2005|
|Marc Schaefer||LSAP||18 December 2006|
|Patrick Santer||CSV||27 April 2009|
|Lydie Lorang||CSV||1 February 2010|
|Charles Lampers||CSV ||28 February 2011|
|Martine Deprez||CSV||31 October 2012|
|Christophe Schiltz||LSAP||28 November 2013|
|Lucien Lux||LSAP||24 December 2013|
|Mike Mathias||Greens||28 April 2014|
|Alain Kinsch||DP||4 February 2015|
|Marc Thewes||CSV||4 February 2015|
|Jeannot Nies||CSV||11 May 2015|
|Sam Tanson||Greens||7 June 2015|
|Dan Theisen||DP||10 June 2015|
|Héloïse Bock||DP||25 July 2015|
|Marc Colas||CSV||27 November 2015|
|Isabelle Schlesser||1 July 2016|
- Marc Feyereisen. "Report for Luxembourg" (PDF). Association of Councils of State and Supreme Administrative Jurisdictions of the European Union. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- Christiane Huberty (November 2006). "Le Conseil d'État – un produit du conflit constitutionnel du milieu du XIXe siècle" (PDF) (in French). forum.lu. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- "Composition" (in French). Council of State. Archived from the original on 17 May 2008. Retrieved 19 May 2008.
- "Membres" (PDF) (in French). Council of State. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- "Membres depuis 1857" (in French). 7 July 2017.
- "On achève bien les chevaux" (PDF). Forum 261 (in French). Forum. 10 November 2006. Retrieved 5 April 2009.
- "Membres depuis 1857" (in French). Council of State. Archived from the original on 3 November 2009. Retrieved 5 April 2009.
- Zeimet, Laurent (14 January 2010). "Wird Lydie Lorang neues Mitglied des Staatsrates?". Luxemburger Wort (in German). Archived from the original on 17 January 2010. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- "Neues Mitglied für Staatsrat steht fest". Luxemburger Wort (in German). 15 February 2011. Archived from the original on 19 February 2011. Retrieved 26 August 2011.