Crown of João VI
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Crown of João VI|
|Country||Kingdom of Portugal|
Kingdom of the Algarves
|Owner||Government of Portugal|
|Arches||8 half arches|
The crown is fashioned out of gold, silver, iron, and red velvet. Its eight half arches are surmounted by a monde: a globus cruciger on a crown, with a cross at its top—as Portugal was a Catholic nation. The base of the crown is elaborately decorated with baroque patterns and designs.
The Crown of João VI was made in 1817 for the acclamation of King João VI. The crown was fashioned in the workshop of D. Antonio Gomes da Silva, the Royal Jeweler.
The crown was made as part of the set of crown jewels, which included the Sceptre of the Armillary and the Mantle of João VI, which was specifically made for João VI's acclamation. It then became the official crown of the monarchs of Portugal and was used by all the Portuguese monarchs after João VI.
Though serving as the monarchy's official symbol, the crown was never actually worn by any Portuguese monarch. In 1646, King John IV of Portugal had consecrated the Crown of Portugal to the Virgin Mary; following this, no Portuguese sovereign ever wore a diadem, though it was usually present at the ceremony where his ascension was proclaimed.