Daniel Mojon (born July 29, 1963, in Bern, Switzerland) is a Swiss ophthalmologist and ophthalmic surgeon who is considered to be the inventor of minimally-invasive strabismus surgery (MISS), a method of surgically correcting squinting that uses only very small incisions and is supposed to lead to quicker rehabilitation and wound healing particularly in children who comprise the largest group of patients undergoing eye muscle surgery. Daniel Mojon is president of the program committee of the Swiss Academy of Ophthalmology (SAoO).
Life and medical training
Daniel Mojon, son of the Swiss art historian Luc Mojon, received his medical training at the University of Bern and Columbia University in New York. He became head of the department of strabology and neuro-ophthalmology at the University of Bern Eye Clinic; he later practiced ophthalmology at the Kantonsspital of St.Gallen, at the Airport Medical Center of Zürich Airport and in private practice. Daniel Mojon is married to health economist Stefania Mojon-Azzi.
Mojon has published several studies demonstrating the extent to which people with strabismus suffer discrimination and stigmatizing in daily life - squinting children, for instance, get invited, als Mojon could prove, to fewer birthday parties. Specialized in treating strabismus since the 1990s, Mojon developed minimally-invasive strabismus surgery (MISS) as an alternative to conventional and more traumatizing surgical techniques that use a limbal approach to allow direct access to Tenon's space for horizontal muscle resection, recession or plication. Unlike these conventional techniques, minimally-invasive strabismus surgery is done using an operation microscope and usually under general anaesthesia. Reportedly, there is considerably less swelling the day after the operation after MISS than following more extensive surgical opening of the conjunctiva. The long-term outcomes with respect to alignment, visual acuity and complications were comparable. Daniel Mojon is one of the founders of the Swiss Academy of Ophthalmology (SAoO) which is modeled after the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) and its program director; the SAoO holds annual meetings dedicated to the continuing education of ophthalmologists from multiple European countries in Lucerne.
- Daniel Mojon and Howard Fine (Eds.): Minimally invasive ophthalmic surgery. Springer, Berlin 2010. ISBN 978-3-642-02601-0
- Mojon-Azzi SM, Kunz A, Mojon DS: The perception of strabismus by children and adults.Graefes Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2011;249:753-757.
- Mojon-Azzi SM, Mojon DS. Opinion of headhunters about the ability of strabismic subjects to obtain employment. Ophthalmologica. 2007; 221: 430-3.
- Mojon-Azzi SM, Kunz A, Mojon DS. Strabismus and discrimination in children: are children with strabismus invited to fewer birthday parties? Br J Ophthalmol 2011; 95: 473-6.
- Kaup M, Mojon-Azzi SM, Kunz A, Mojon DS.Intraoperative conversion rate to a large, limbal opening in minimally invasive strabismus surgery (MISS). Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2011;249:1553-1557.
- Mojon DS. Comparison of a new, minimally invasive strabismus surgery technique with the usual limbal approach for rectus muscle recession and plication. Br J Ophthalmol 2007; 91: 76-82.
- Mojon DS. Minimally invasive strabismus surgery for horizontal rectus muscle reoperations. Br J Ophthalmol 2008; 92: 1648-1652.
- Mojon DS. Minimally invasive strabismus surgery. Eye (Lond). 2015; 29: 225-33. doi:10.1038/eye.2014.281. Epub 2014 Nov 28.
- Mursch-Edlmayr AS, Mojon DS, Ring M, Laubichler P, Luft N, Priglinger SG: Comparison of deep sclerokeratodissection, a new variant of nonpenetrating glaucoma surgery, with deep sclerectomy. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 2016;64:914-918.
- Mojon DS: Minimally invasive strabismus surgery for rectus muscle posterior fixation. Ophthalmologica 2009;223:111-115.
- Mojon DS: Minimally invasive strabismus surgery (MISS) for inferior obliquus recession.Graefes Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2009;247:261-265.
- Pellanda N, Mojon DS: Minimally invasive strabismus surgery technique in horizontal rectus muscle surgery for esotropia. Ophthalmologica 2010; 224:67-71.
- Weblink: https://www.saoo.ch/
- Mojon-Azzi SM, Kunz A, Mojon DS :Strabismus and discrimination in children: are children with strabismus invited to fewer birthday parties? British Journal of Ophthalmology 2011; 95:473-476.
- Chris Smyth: Six-year old 'discriminate over squints'. The Times, August 19, 2010.
- Squinters 'refused party invites'. BBC News, August 19, 2010.
- Mojon DS: Comparison of a new, minimally invasive strabismus surgery technique with the usual limbal approach for rectus muscle recession and plication. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2007;91:76-82.