Daniel Weiss (art historian)
Daniel H. Weiss
President and CEO
|CEO of Metropolitan Museum of Art|
February 28, 2017 – Present
|Preceded by||Thomas P. Campbell|
|President of Metropolitan Museum of Art|
March 10, 2015 – Present
|Preceded by||Emily Kernan Rafferty|
|President of Haverford College|
|Preceded by||Joanne V. Creighton|
|Succeeded by||Kimberly W. Benston|
|16th President of|
|Preceded by||Arthur J. Rothkopf|
|Succeeded by||Alison Byerly|
|Alma mater||The George Washington University (B.A). |
Yale University (M.B.A)
Johns Hopkins University (M.A., Ph.D)
Early life and education
Weiss graduated from George Washington University's Columbian College of Arts and Sciences with a B.A. in psychology and art history in 1979. In 1982 he graduated with a master's in medieval and modern art from Johns Hopkins University and subsequently, in 1985, obtained an MBA from the Yale School of Management. In 1992, he returned to Johns Hopkins and obtained a PhD in Western Medieval and Byzantine Art.
Weiss started his career as manager for the museum shop at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.
After obtaining his MBA he then joined the management consultancy Booz, Allen & Hamilton in New York. He left in 1989, to obtain his PhD degree and afterwards started working at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, where he served as history of art professor and department head from 1992 to 2001 and as dean of faculty from 2001 to 2002.
Leadership of the Metropolitan Museum
On October 12, 2017 Weiss voiced, on behalf of the museum, opposition to the Trump administration decision to pull out of UNESCO stating:
"President Trump’s decision to withdraw from UNESCO undermines the historic role of the United States as a leader in this effort and weakens our position as a strong advocate for cultural preservation. Although UNESCO may be an imperfect organization, it has been an important leader and steadfast partner in this crucial work."
Additional affiliations and memberships
Weiss serves on the Board of the Samuel H. Kress Foundation. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Library of America and of the Advisory Board of the Yale School of Management.
Weiss has published different books and in June 2017, signed a contract with PublicAffairs for his new book "In That Time: A Story of Loss and Reconciliation in the Era of Vietnam".
- Art and Crusade in the Age of Saint Louis
- The Book of Kings: Art, War, and the Morgan Library’s Medieval Picture Bible
- France and the Holy Land
- Remaking College
- "Metropolitan Museum's Director Resigns Under Pressure". 28 February 2017 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Daniel H. Weiss Named Next President of The Metropolitan Museum of Art". TheMet. March 10, 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "GW Arts & Sciences Fall/Winter 2016". Issuu. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Jewish Art Historian Takes the Reins at Met Museum". The Forward. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Johns Hopkins Magazine -- November 1999". pages.jh.edu. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Former Johns Hopkins student, faculty member to lead New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art". The Hub. 2015-03-17. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Daniel H. Weiss Biography · The President · Lafayette College". president.lafayette.edu. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "New College Theater Will be Named for Daniel and Sandra Weiss". liveconnected.lafayette.edu. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "New College Theater Will be Named for Daniel and Sandra Weiss · News · Lafayette College". news.lafayette.edu. July 11, 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "Metropolitan Museum of Art Names New President: Daniel Weiss". Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Daniel Weiss '85 Named CEO of Metropolitan Museum". Yale School of Management. 2017-06-13. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Metropolitan Museum of Art Issues Statement Against U.S. Decision to Pull Out of UNESCO", BY Alex Greenberger, 10/12/17. Artnews journal. .
- "Kress Foundation | Trustees and Staff". www.kressfoundation.org. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- "Speaker Details: Art Leaders Network 2018". www.nytartleadersnetwork.com. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- "Yale SOM Board of Advisors". Yale School of Management. 2013-05-26. Retrieved 2019-01-08.
- "As if He Isn't Busy Enough: Met Museum Head to Write Book". Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Haverford and Swarthmore Presidents Explore Change and Opportunity at Liberal Arts Colleges". Retrieved 2018-11-14.
Arthur J. Rothkopf
| President of Lafayette College
Joanne V. Creighton
| President of Haverford College
Kimberly W. Benston
Emily Kernan Rafferty
President of the Metropolitan Museum of Art