Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar Memorial, London
|Location||10 King Henry's Rd, Primrose Hill, London NW3 3RP, The United Kingdom|
|Type||Monument and museum|
|Opening date||14 November 2015|
|Dedicated to||Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar|
The Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar Memorial, also known as the Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Memorial, is a memorial in London, United Kingdom. A statue is dedicated to B. R. Ambedkar, Indian polymath, and the architect of the Constitution of India, and is situated outside the house he lived in during the 1920s, which is open to the public. The memorial was inaugurated by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on 14 November 2015.
Ambedkar lived in the three-storey house during the year 1921–22, when he was studying at the London School of Economics. In this house, he studied around 20–21 hours and completed three degrees, M.Sc, Bar-at-Law and D.Sc.
On 5 July 1920, Ambedkar left for London in order to complete his studies. He got admitted in London School of Economics and Political Science for M.Sc. Furthermore, he started studying for Barristry by being admitted in Gray's Inn. It was a time that amongst the untouchable of India, Ambedkar was the sole student went abroad to pursue his higher studies. He started staying at 10 King Henry's Road.
In the year 2015, this historic house was purchased by the Maharashtra government for Rs 35 crores. Later this house was converted into a monument. The memorial was inaugurated by the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 14 November 2015. On this occasion, Maharashtra's Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, Rajkumar Badole, Sulekha Kumbhare, Ramdas Athawale and Ambedkarites and Buddhists in England were also present. Modi said "This monument in London will continue to give the message and inspiration of equality and social justice to the world". Also Fadnavis recorded his feelings in the visitor book: "A historical day. Bharat Ratna Mahamanav Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar's house that had made, where he stayed, he attended the London School of Economics. The house is now open to the public as a memorial. Society and the country can progress on the basis of equality and fraternity, through our constitution. Babasaheb has underlined it."
There are many rare photographs and items from Ambedkar's life on display in the house, including a library of his work installed by the government of Maharashtra. There is a bust of Ambedkar in the main hall inside the memorial and on the outside of the memorial is a full-size statue of Ambedkar. The building also provides accommodation facilities to scholarship students from India pursuing higher education in London.
- "PM Narendra Modi Inaugurates Ambedkar Memorial in London". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- "PM Modi, Fadnavis inaugurate Ambedkar's memorial in London". The Indian Express. 2015-11-15. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- "UK: Modi unveils Basaveshwara statue, inaugrates Ambedkar memorial". Hindustan Times. 2015-11-14. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- Haidar, Suhasini (2015-11-15). "'People-to-people ties get a boost'". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- Ambedkar, Mahesh (2016-11-25). The Architect of Modern India: Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar. Diamond Pocket Books Pvt Ltd. ISBN 9789350830383.
- "London School of Economics releases BR Ambedkar archives". DNA India. 2016-02-09. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- "पंतप्रधानांच्या हस्ते डॉ. बाबासाहेब आंबेडकरांच्या लंडनमधील घराचे लोकार्पण". Loksatta (in Marathi). 2015-11-14. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- "डॉ. आंबेडकरांच्या लंडनमधील घराचे लोकार्पण". Maharashtra Times (in Marathi). 2015-11-14. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- डेस्क, FP Desk एफपी (2015-12-01). "लंदन में बाबासाहेब की यादें". फॉरवर्ड प्रेस (in Hindi). Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- Media related to Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar Memorial at Wikimedia Commons