Eleanor of England, Countess of Bar
Depiction of princess Eleanor on the family tree
|Countess of Bar|
|Tenure||1293 – 12 October 1298|
|Born||18 June 1269|
Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire
|Died||29 August 1298 (aged 29)|
Ghent, County of Flanders
|Burial||12 October 1298|
Henry III, Count of Bar (m. 1293)
|Issue||Edward I, Count of Bar|
Joan of Bar, Countess of Surrey
|Father||Edward I of England|
|Mother||Eleanor of Castile|
What evidence exists for Eleanor's early years suggests that while her parents were absent on Crusade between 1270 and 1274, she became very close to her paternal grandmother, Eleanor of Provence, with whom she continued to spend a good deal of time. She was also close to her sickly brother Henry. On one Pentecost Eve, Henry and Eleanor were given two partridges for their dinner, for a special treat.
For a long period Eleanor was betrothed to King Alfonso III of Aragon. Alfonso's parents were under papal interdict, however, because of their claims to the throne of Sicily, which were contrary to the papal donation of the Sicilian throne to Charles I of Naples, and despite the Aragonese ruler's repeated pleas that Edward I send his daughter to them for marriage, Edward refused to send her as long as the interdict remained in place. In 1282 he declined one such request by saying that his wife and mother felt the girl, who had just turned 13, was too young to be married, and that they wanted to wait another two years before sending her to Aragon. Alfonso died before the marriage could take place.
|Ancestors of Eleanor of England, Countess of Bar|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eleanor of England, Countess of Bar.|
- Burke's Guide to the Royal Family, London, 1973, 197 & John Carmi Parsons
- genealogics.org Family of Eleanor of England
- Siblings of Edward II
- Balaguer, Víctor. Historia de Cataluña y de la Corona de Aragón. Barcelona, 1860, p. 698.
- Michael Prestwich, Edward I, (Yale University Press, 1997), 389.
- Kenneth Panton, Historical Dictionary of the British Monarchy, (Scarecrow Press, 2011), 173.
- Selby, Walford Dakin; Harwood, H. W. Forsyth; Murray, Keith W. (1895). The genealogist. London: George Bell & Sons. pp. 30–31.