Elizabeth of Görlitz
Depiction on the tomb of Elisabeth von Görlitz, Duchess of Luxembourg, in Trier (Germany)
|Duchess of Luxemburg|
|Died||2 August 1451 (aged 60)|
|Spouse||Antoine, Duke of Brabant|
John III, Duke of Bavaria-Straubing
|House||House of Luxemburg|
|Father||John of Görlitz|
|Mother||Richardis Catherine of Sweden|
Elisabeth of Görlitz (November 1390 – 2 August 1451) reigned as Duchess of Luxemburg from 1411 to 1443.
Elisabeth was the only daughter and heiress of John of Görlitz, the third son of Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor. He was Duke of Lusatia and Görlitz, and also Elector of Brandenburg for a brief period. Her mother, Richardis Catherine of Sweden, was the daughter of King Albert of Sweden.
The Duchy of Luxemburg was mortgaged to Elisabeth by her uncle the King Sigismund of Hungary, who later also became King of Bohemia and Holy Roman Emperor. He was unable to repay the loan, and subsequently left Elisabeth in control of the duchy.
John of Bavaria was her second husband. He died in 1425, and they did not have any children. After his death, she became heavily indebted.
In 1441, she made a treaty with Philip III, Duke of Burgundy, allowing him to immediately assume the administrative duties of Luxemburg and inherit the duchy upon her death. He agreed to this, but chose to launch a night attack on the territory two years later, taking immediate control. Elisabeth was subsequently expelled from Luxemburg by Philip's forces.
- William (2 June 1410 – 10 July 1410, Brussels)
- unknown (1413)
- Joseph Calmette. Die großen Herzöge von Burgund. Callwey Verlag, München 1963; Eugen Diederichs Verlag, Munich 1996, ISBN 3-424-01312-9
- Michael Erbe. Belgien - Niederlande - Luxemburg – Geschichte des niederländischen Raumes. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 1993, ISBN 3-17-010976-6
- Jörg K. Hoensch. Die Luxemburger – Eine spätmittelalterliche Dynastie gesamteuropäischer Bedeutung 1308–1437. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2000, ISBN 3-17-015159-2
- Jörg K. Hoensch. Kaiser Sigismund – Herrscher an der Schwelle zur Neuzeit 1368–1437. C. H. Beck, Munich 1996, ISBN 3-406-41119-3
- Walter Kaemmerer (1959), "Elisabeth von Görlitz", Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB) (in German), 4, Berlin: Duncker & Humblot, p. 445; (full text online)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elizabeth of Görlitz.|
Elizabeth of Görlitz
House of LimburgBorn: November 1390 Died: 2 August 1451
| Duchess of Luxemburg
with Anthony (1411–1415)
John III (1418–1425)
|Titles in pretence|
|Burgundian conquest||— TITULAR —
Duchess of Luxemburg