Fêtes de Genève
Fêtes de Genève
|Genre||Music concerts, fairground attractions, fireworks|
|Begins||1 June 2018|
|Ends||2 September 2018|
Grand fireworks on 11 August
|Previous event||3–13 August 2017|
Grand fireworks on 12 August
|Organised by||Fondation Genève tourisme et congrès|
The Fêtes de Genève (Geneva Festival) is an annual summer event in Geneva, Switzerland. It includes a grand fireworks display.
The Fêtes de Genève started during the first half of the twentieth century. Having suffered financial losses in 2016 and 2017, the format is changed as of 2018. However, the grand fireworks will still take place, on Saturday 11 August 2018.
Grand firework display
Every year, on a Saturday evening of mid-August, the Geneva Festival presents a grand fireworks display (French: grand feu d'artifice pyromélodique) over Lake Geneva. The event is free although it has a budget of 500,000 to 700,000 Swiss francs. The fireworks involves about forty firing stations on the lake and about 30,000 rockets; they are about one-hour long and are accompanied by music.
In 2013, according to the Radio télévision suisse, hundreds of thousands of people came to Geneva to see the grand fireworks display of the Fêtes de Genève. The Swiss Federal Railways organise special trains to bring the spectators home after the fireworks.
Notes and references
- "Party over: Geneva ditches summer festival plans", The Local, 15 February 2018 (page visited on 15 July 2018).
- The grand fireworks, official website of the city of Geneva, 2018 (page visited on 15 July 2018).
- Les traditionnels feux d'artifice des Fêtes de Genève ont attiré la foule, Radio télévision suisse, 10 August 2014 (page visited on 10 August 2014).
- "Une heure de feux genevois sur le thème des conquêtes", www.rts.ch.
- Fêtes de Genève – fireworks display, www.sbb.ch.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fêtes de Genève.|
|This festival-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|