Federal Palace of Switzerland
(in German) Bundeshaus
(in French) Palais fédéral
(in Italian) Palazzo federale
(in Romansh) Chasa federala
(in Latin) Curia Confœderationis Helveticæ
View from the Bundesplatz
|Town or city||Bern|
|Completed||1 April 1902|
|Design and construction|
The Federal Palace (German: Bundeshaus, French: Palais fédéral, Italian: Palazzo federale, Romansh: Chasa federala, Latin: Curia Confœderationis Helveticæ) refers to the building in Bern housing the Swiss Federal Assembly (legislature) and the Federal Council (executive). It consists of a central assembly building and two wings (eastern and western) housing government departments and a library.
The two chambers where the National Council and the Council of States meet are separated by the Hall of the Dome. The dome itself has an external height of 64 m, and an internal height of 33 m. The mosaic in the center represents the federal coat of arms along with the Latin motto Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno (One for all, and all for one), surrounded by the coat of arms of the 22 cantons that existed in 1902. The coat of arms of the Canton of Jura, created in 1979, was placed outside of the mosaic.
The name in German and Romansh both mean "federal house", whereas the French and Italian names both translate to "Federal Palace". The Latin word curia originates from Ancient Rome and originally meant an assembly, and later used for where the Roman Senate met, both meanings being relevant to the Federal Palace.
- West wing
- Federal Council
- Federal Chancellery of Switzerland
- Federal Department of Foreign Affairs
- Federal Department of Justice and Police
- Carl Lutz Room.
- East wing
- Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
- Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sports
As president of the Social Democratic Party of Switzerland and therefore member of the so-called Elefantenrunde, the presidents of the five most important political parties in Switzerland, Ursula Koch participated at the first live stream broadcast from the Federal Palace (Bundeshaus) in late 1999.
As reported in a study by the Federal parliamentary services (Parlamentsdienste), the noise caused by human activities in the chamber of the National Council is clearly too loud. The previously undisclosed study was published by 10vor10 on 12 December 2014, pointing that the noise level is usually at a level of about 70 decibels, comparable to a used roadway, so concentration of work for politicians is not possible.
The south side of the Federal Palace, with the river Aare in the foreground
Dome of the Federal Palace. The name Jura can be read at the bottom of the picture, indicating where the coat of arms of the Canton of Jura was placed after the secession from Berne in 1979
The Council of States chamber
- Visiting the Parliament Building, Federal Assembly (page visited on 11 September 2016).
- (in French) "Dans les appartements des sept sages", Le temps, Sunday 12 May 2013 (page visited on 11 September 2016).
- "'Swiss Schindler' honoured with room in Federal Palace". The Local. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Das hatte die Technikwelt 1999 zu bieten" (in German). 20 Minuten. 12 December 2014. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Lärmbelastung im Nationalrat deutlich zu hoch" (in German). 10vor10. 12 December 2014. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to |
(Federal Palace of Switzerland).
- Official website
- Federal Palace in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.