François and Michel Anguier
The chief works of François were the monument to Cardinal de Bérulle, the founder of the Carmelite order, which formerly occupied the chapel of the oratory at Paris, and the mausoleum of Henri II, the last duke of Montmorency, at Moulins. Of the monument to Cardinal de Bérulle, all but the bust have been destroyed.
Michel directed the decoration of the church of Val-de-Grâce from 1662 to 1667. A marble group of the Nativity in the church of Val-de-Grâce is reckoned his masterpiece. He was also credited with the sculptures of the triumphal arch at the Porte Saint-Denis (c. 1674), which served as a memorial of the conquests of Louis XIV, and he supervised the decoration of the apartments of Anne of Austria in the old Louvre. Nicolas Fouquet also employed him for his château, Vaux-le-Vicomte.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911), , Encyclopædia Britannica, 2 (11th ed.), Cambridge University Press, p. 42
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to François Anguier.|
- Media related to Michel Anguier at Wikimedia Commons
- Encyclopædia Britannica, 2 (9th ed.), 1878, p. 46 ,
- Biography from the Grove Dictionary of Art
|This article about a French sculptor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|