Gilbert R. Chagoury
|Residence||Victoria Island, Lagos|
|Education||College des Frères Chretiens|
|Net worth||US$1.0 billion (2018)|
|Spouse(s)||Rose-Marie (née Chamchoum) Chagoury|
|Children||Anne-Marie, Gilbert Antoine, Ramez, Christopher|
|Relatives||Ronald Chagoury (brother)|
In 1971, he co-founded the Chagoury Group with his younger brother Ronald Chagoury, an industrial conglomerate with interests in construction, real estate and property development, flour mills, water bottling and purification, glass manufacturing, insurance, hotels, furniture manufacturing, telecommunications, IT, catering and international financing.[failed verification] Gilbert and Ronald Chagoury founded C & C Construction in the late 1970s, which was the forerunner of Hitech and ITB (these now form the Construction Division of the Chagoury group of Companies).
Through their ownership of the Chagoury Group, Gilbert Chagoury and family have an estimated wealth of $4.2 billion.
Diplomacy and politics
He served as an Ambassador and Adviser to governments in Africa and the Americas. He has also served as Ambassador to the Vatican for St. Lucia, economic adviser to President Mathieu Kérékou of Benin, and ambassador to UNESCO.
Chagoury was a close associate of Nigerian dictator, General Sani Abacha, who helped his business interests in the country. After Abacha died in 1998, Chagoury returned an estimated $300 million to the Nigerian government to secure his indemnity from possible criminal charges.
He is a key benefactor for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, and his private contributions have improved health care and public infrastructure of Miziara, Northern Lebanon, home to both his and his wife's family. He serves on the board of the Lebanese American University where he provided a donation of $10 million to fund the Gilbert and Rose-Marie Chagoury School of Medicine and $3.5 million for the construction of the Alice Ramez Chagoury School of Nursing.
The Louvre's Gilbert et Rose Marie Chagoury Gallery is named for them, housing a permanent exhibit including French works donated by the Chagourys. He has donated in excess of $340,000 for the renovations of the Church of Our Lady of Lebanon in Paris, France. He has also donated US$10,000 to the Beverly Hills 9/11 Memorial Garden in Beverly Hills, California.
- "The Richest People In Africa 2013". Ventures Africa. October 9, 2013. Retrieved January 15, 2015.
- Ermshwiller, John R. (December 20, 2008). "Bill Clinton's Complicated World: Donor to Former President's Foundation Had Business Ties to Nigerian Dictator". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- Africa South of the Sahara. Taylor & Francis, The University of Michigan. 2007. p. 103. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- "How the private sector is slowly but surely rebuilding Nigeria". Martz publishing. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Chagoury Group
- Chagoury Construction intro
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Alice Ramez Chagoury School of Nursing
- The Louvre
- Notre Dame du Liban
- Beverly Hills 9/11 Memorial Garden
- House of Lebanon