|9th President of Lithuania|
|Assumed office |
12 July 2019
|Prime Minister||Saulius Skvernelis|
|Preceded by||Dalia Grybauskaitė|
|Born||19 May 1964|
Klaipėda, Lithuanian SSR, Soviet Union
|Education||1987 Vilnius University|
|Net worth||US$0.4 million|
Early life and education
From 1982 to 1987 he studied in Vilnius University, Faculty of Industrial Economics and from 1987 to 1989 in the Faculty of Economics. From 1990 to 1992 he did a practice at the University of Mannheim in Germany under the DAAD scholarship. He defended his PhD thesis "Income Policy Under Inflation and Stagflation" in 1993. Since 2009 he is an associate professor at Vilnius University Business School.
Professional and political career
Having completed his studies, from 1992 to 1993 he worked for the Research Institute for Economics and Privatization. From 1993 to 1994 he worked for the Lithuanian Competition Council as a head of the Financial Markets Department. From 1994 to 2000 he worked at the Bank of Lithuania, initially in the department regulating the commercial banks and later as a director of the Monetary Policy Department. From 2000 to 2008 he was a chief economist and adviser to the chairman of AB Vilniaus Bankas. From 2008 to 2018 he was the financial analyst as well as chief adviser and later the chief economist for the SEB Bankas president.
On 17 September 2018, Nausėda announced his candidacy for the 2019 Lithuanian presidential election, which he won in the second round on 26 May 2019. He was officially inaugurated on 12 July. On 16 July, 4 days after his inauguration, he visited Warsaw, Poland to meet with President Andrzej Duda in his first foreign visit as President. During the visit, there were calls for him to establish a more personal relationship with the country. He also rejected any attempt by European Union leaders to sanction Poland for its actions in relation to the Supreme Court of Poland and the rest of the country's judiciary. Nauseda presented acting Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis's candidacy to continue his duties on 18 July. By the time he had spent a month in office, Nausėda was considered to be the most trusted politician in Lithuania according to polls conducted by the Lithuanian National Radio and Television (LRT). During a meeting in Berlin with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in August, Nauseda urged her to maintain sanctions against Russia. In an interview with LRT on 14 August, he reiterated past positions that a potential meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin would be "pointless" due to the fact that Lithuania sees "the true danger" and "risks" of being on the border with Russia.
International trips as President
|16 July 2019||Poland||Warsaw||Talks with President Andrzej Duda|
|23 July 2019||Latvia||Riga||Talks with President Egils Levits|
|14-15 August 2019||Germany||Berlin||Talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel|
|20 August 2019||Estonia||Tallinn||Talks with President Kersti Kaljulaid|
|1 September 2019||Poland||Warsaw||80th anniversary of the September campaign|
- Lithuania: Medal of Merit to Neringa's Municipality (2016)
- Lithuania: Grand Master and Grand Cross with Golden Chain of the Order of Vytautas the Great (12 July 2019)
- Japan: Gifu University (24 October 2019)
- "G.Nausėdos turtas – namas nevertas nė 700 tūkst. eurų, knygų kolekcijos deklaruoti nepavyko". 15min.lt.
- "Download Limit Exceeded". citeseerx.ist.psu.edu.
- "LIETUVOS MOKSLO POTENCIALAS". www.mokslas.mii.lt.
- "Gitanas Nausėda - Biografija". Nauseda 2019.
- "Bloomberg - Are you a robot?". www.bloomberg.com.
- Lithuanian opposition party names favorites for presidential election Xinhua, 18 September 2018.
- "Gitanas Nauseda to be inaugurated as next president of Lithuania". July 11, 2019.
- G.Nausėda Varšuvoje pamatė visišką sutarimą su Lenkija, ES sankcijoms kaimynei nepritartų, 15min.lt, 2019-07-16
- "Nausėda, visiting Poland, urged to get more personal than Grybauskaitė". Baltic News Network - News from Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia. July 16, 2019.
- "Lithuania's acting PM Skvernelis offered to continue his duties by new president - Xinhua | English.news.cn". www.xinhuanet.com.
- "President Gitanas Nausėda considered the most popular politician in Lithuania". Baltic News Network - News from Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia. August 12, 2019.
- "Lithuania's President calls on German Chancellor to maintain sanctions against Russia - news world | UNIAN". www.unian.info.
- "Lithuania's president says he sees no reason to meet with Putin". Baltic News Network - News from Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia. August 14, 2019.
- Prezidentas vyksta į Latviją, LR Prezidento kanceliarija, 2019-07-22
- Prezidentas ir pirmoji ponia susitiks su Vokietijos vadovais, LR Prezidento kanceliarija, 2019-08-13
- Lietuvos ir Estijos Prezidentų susitikime – dėmesys energetiniam saugumui Baltijos regione, LR Prezidento kanceliarija, 2019-08-20
- D. Nausėdienė: Gitanas man pateikė viliojantį pasiūlymą, kurio negalėjau atsisakyti Delfi, October 31, 2015
- G.Nausėdos kelias į ekonomiką aplaistytas ašaromis Delfi, February 24, 2010