Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hāpuna Beach State Recreation Area is a large park and sandy beach on the Big Island of Hawaii. The Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel is also located adjacent to the beach. Hāpuna (literally, "spring" or "pool" in Hawaiian) is popular with residents and visitors.
This is one of a few other white sand beaches on the west coast of the Big Island. The few others include Kua Bay (Manini'owali Beach), Kaunaʻoa Bay, known as Mauna Kea Beach, and Samuel M. Spencer Beach Park. It was named the Best Beach in America by Florida International University professor Stephen Leatherman, known as "Dr Beach", in 1993.
The 61.8-acre (25.0 ha) park is located at coordinates Coordinates: , west of Hawaii Belt Road (Route 19, called Queen Kaʻahumanu Highway) on Hapuna Beach Road. It is about 2.3 miles (3.7 km) south of Kawaihae, Hawaii. A part of the Ala Kahakai National Historic Trail runs through the park from Spencer Beach to the north, to Puako to the south.
Hāpuna beach has lifeguards, but can be hazardous during high surf conditions since the beach is not protected from the open ocean.
Junior lifeguard program
Every Summer, Hawai’i County hosts a Junior Lifeguard Program at Hāpuna for youths spanning 12–17 years of age.
The first session of the 2019 Hapuna Junior Lifeguard Program has taken place the week of June 3–7; with sessions 2, 3, & 4, having taken place on June 10–14, June 17–21, and June 24–28, respectively. The time for each Junior Lifeguard program is from 9 am to 1 pm.
On Saturday, June 29, 2019, Hāpuna hosted the Hawai’i Island Junior Lifeguard Championships.
Park and Rec services
The park has free admission for Hawai’i residents and $5 for visitors, paved parking, pavilions, picnic areas, restrooms, and showers. Camping permits are available.
- Mary Kawena Pukui, Samuel Hoyt Elbert and Esther T. Mookini (2004). "lookup of Hapuna ". in Place Names of Hawai'i. Ulukau, the Hawaiian Electronic Library, University of Hawaii Press. Retrieved October 10, 2010.
- Stephen P. Leatherman. "Beaches previously ranked as America's Best Beach by Dr. Beach". DrBeach.Org web site. Retrieved October 10, 2010.
- "Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area". official web site. Hawaii state Department of Land and Natural Resources. Retrieved February 14, 2017.
- "Ala Kahakai Trail (Kawaihae-Anaehoomalu)". official web site. Hawaii National Park Services. Retrieved February 14, 2017.
- "South Kohala map 2". Shoreline access. on official Hawaiʻi County web site. Retrieved February 14, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hapuna Beach.|