Hollywood Vampires (band)
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Associated acts||Aerosmith, Alice Cooper|
Hollywood Vampires is an American rock supergroup formed in 2015 by Alice Cooper, Johnny Depp, and Joe Perry to honor the music of the rock stars who died from excess in the 1970s. The band name derives from The Hollywood Vampires, a celebrity drinking club formed by Cooper in the 1970s which included but was not limited to: Keith Moon of The Who, and Micky Dolenz of The Monkees. Touring members include or have included Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum of Guns N' Roses fame, as well as Robert DeLeo from Stone Temple Pilots.
The band has released one studio album, Hollywood Vampires (2015), featuring guest appearances by Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Joe Walsh, and Christopher Lee among others. Cooper and Perry have discussed plans for a future live album, stating that Depp's schedule works differently than theirs.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2015)
Originally named after a drinking club consisting of mainly Alice, Mickey Dolenz, Elton John, John Lennon, with other rotating members such as Keith Moon, and Harry Nilsson. The main mission of the original Hollywood Vampires was to drink until no one could basically stand up. This takes place during what was the height of Alice Cooper's drinking in the 1970s. Alice talks more in depth about the Rainbow Bar incarnation of the Vampires in the 1991 video biography, Prime Cuts.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The group's debut live performances were held at Roxy Theatre (West Hollywood) in Los Angeles across September 16 and 17, 2015. The three core members were accompanied by bassist Duff McKagan, drummer Matt Sorum, rhythm guitarist Tommy Henriksen, and Bruce Witkin on keyboards and additional guitar. Guest performers for both nights were Tom Morello, Geezer Butler, Perry Farrell, Zak Starkey, and Kesha, and Marilyn Manson guesting on the second night. The next week, the group performed at Brazil's Rock in Rio festival on September 24, 2015, and was webcast live by AOL. Guest performers were Arthur Brown, Lzzy Hale, Zak Starkey, and Andreas Kisser.
In February 2016, the group performed at the Grammy Award ceremony as a tribute to Lemmy, who had died at the end of 2015. The group also announced their first concert tour, which began at Turning Stone Resort & Casino on May 24. The group was scheduled to make their first late-night television appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on July 11, 2016; however, lead guitarist and co-founder Perry collapsed on stage during a performance on July 10. The band continued to perform without Perry prior to his return to the tour on July 22.
Current touring musicians
Former touring musicians
- Lasky, Jane (February 16, 2015). "Hollywood Vampires: Johnny Depp joins Alice Cooper, Joe Perry to form supergroup". axs.
- "Faith No More and Hollywood Vampires at Rock in Rio Brazil". Rock in Rio.
- Grow, Kory (September 11, 2015). "Hollywood Vampires". Rolling Stone.
- Ives, Brian. "Alice Cooper and Joe Perry Consider a Hollywood Vampires Tour". radio.com.
- "Alice Cooper, Johnny Depp, Joe Perry Supergroup Announce First Live Dates". RTTNews.
- "Johnny Depp and Alice Cooper's Hollywood Vampires live review - EW.com". ew.com.
- "Supergroup Hollywood Vampires Haunts the Sunset Strip at First Concert". yahoo.com. 17 September 2015.
- "The Hollywood Vampires Perform With Marilyn Manson, Tom Morello, Geezer Butler & More At First-Ever Shows". musicfeeds.com.au. 19 September 2015.
- AOL Staff. "Deftones, System of a Down, Lamb of God and more to hit the stage at Rock in Rio Day 4". AOL.com.
- "Grammys: Taylor Swift wins album of the year". BBC News Online. 16 February 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- [dead link]
- "The Hollywood Vampires to make late-night debut". ew.com.
- "Aerosmith Guitarist Joe Perry Stable After Collapsing During Concert". The Huffington Post. 2016-07-11. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- www.hollywoodvampires.com. "Hollywood Vampires - News". www.hollywoodvampires.com.
- Ives, Brian (July 4, 2016). "Hollywood Vampires Raise the Dead in Atlantic City". radio.com. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "Hollywood Vampires unveil band line-up for UK tour". Planet Rock.
- "ALICE COOPER Says New HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES Album Is In The Works". blabbermouth.net. 27 October 2017.