Hugo Harold Huntzinger
|Died||November 22, 1993 (aged 59)|
|Alma mater||San Jose State University|
|Known for||Nature conservation|
|Fields||Geology, mineralogy, volcanology, Nature conservation|
|Institutions||National Park Service|
Hugo H. Huntzinger ([unknown date], 1934, Los Angeles, California — November 22, 1993, Hilo, Hawaii) — long time National Park Service executive in Hawaii, chief ranger at the United States National Parks.
He was born in 1934 in Los Angeles in family of Harold and Sophia S. Huntzinger. He has brother, David and sister, Sonya (Hager). His grandmother came to USA from Pinsk, Russian Empire, so he traveled to see Russia in summer 1992.
National Park Service career
| Hugo Huntzinger (right).|
NPS Operations class, 1964.
From 1957 he was with the National Park Service for 36 years in his career.
From May 26, 1974 till December 19, 1987 he was Haleakala National Park superintendent. He established goat control program at the Haleaka National Park and reduce its number from 4000 to 400. He established strong programs in biological preservation.
Huntzinger was an opponent of noisy stressful to the nature helicopter sight-seeing operations in both parks.
He also believes that the proposed Commercial Satellite Launching Facility represents a "direct threat" to this natural heritage site.
He died in the morning November 22, 1993 while en route to Hilo Hospital. His memorial service held in November 27, on the edge of the Halemaumau Crater, Kilauea Overlook, Crater Rim Drive of Hawaii Volcanoes.
With his wife Kyung Ja, he had a son, Lorenz, and a daughter, Frances Rizzo.
Member of organisations:
- Huntzinger H. H. Newsletter concerning results of Kipahulu-Seven Pools Public Workshops. 1975. Nov. 3.
- Huntzinger H. H. Oheʻo final development concept plan United States: Haleakala National Park (Hawaii). National Park Service, 1977.
He was mentioned and acknowledged in papers:
- Baker J. K., Reeser D. W. Goat management problems in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: a history, analysis, and management plan. Natural Resources Report No. 2, National Park Service, 1972. 22 p.
- Scott J. M. Hawaii's Upland Forests // Science New Series, Vol. 220, No. 4601 (Jun. 3, 1983), p. 1002.
- James H. F., Olson S. L. Descriptions of Thirty-Two New Species of Birds from the Hawaiian Islands: Part II. Passeriformes. Ornithological Monographs No. 46. 1991, pp. 1–88.
- Kjargaard J. Some aspects of Feral Goat Distribution in Haleakala National Park. Report No. 52 Hawaii. University of Hawaii At Manoa. 1984. 19 p.
- Tolson H. A., Baker H. W., Danz H. P.Historic Listing of National Park Service Officials: May 1, 1991. U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, 1991. 231 p.
- Engledow J. Haleakalā, a History of the Maui Mountain. Maui Island Press, 2012. 177 p.
- Friends of Haleakalä National Park. 2012. Spring. (with photo show Hugo Huntzinger inspecting Kaupö pali on page 8).
- Hugo Huntzinger, Volcanoes Park chief: Obituary // Honolulu Advertiser. November 23, 1993. P. 5.
- Personal communication with Ivan P. Vtorov, 1990-1992.
- Tolson H. A., Baker H. W., Danz H. P.Historic Listing of National Park Service Officials: May 1, 1991. U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, 1991. 231 p. (Page 84)
- Sanchez J. P., Erickson B. A., Gurule J. L. Between Two Countries: A History of Coronado National Memorial 1939-1990. BookBaby, 2007. 641 p.
- Frome M. Regreening the National Parks. University of Arizona Press, 199. 289 p. (see page 69).
- Engledow J. Haleakalā, a History of the Maui Mountain. Maui Island Press, 2012. P. 91–98. (His photo and description the goat control program at Haleaka National Park while H. Huntzinger was the Superintendent)
- Historic Listing of National Park Service Officials: Superintendents of National Park System Areas, Hawaii.
- Application for injunction to prevent any further participation by the State of Hawai'i in the proposed Commercial Satellite Launching Facility on the Island of Hawai'i. January 1994.
- Hugo Huntzinger: Obituary // Honolulu Advertiser. November 27, 1993.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hugo Huntzinger.|
- Historic Listing of National Park Service Officials: Superintendents of National Park System Areas, Hawaii. Last Modified: 2000.
| Superintendent of the Haleakalā National Park
| Superintendent of the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park