José Antonio Bowen
José Antonio Bowen
Bowen in March 2018
|11th President of Goucher College|
2014 – 2019
|Preceded by||Sanford J. Ungar|
|Born||11 March 1962|
|Alma mater||Stanford University (B.A., M.A., Ph.D.)|
Early life and education
Bowen was born in Woodland, California to Wayne Bowen and Celina Antonio. He lived until the age of six outside of Madrid and Barcelona. He also spent parts of his childhood in Atlanta and Italy. When Bowen was six, his family moved to Fresno, California, where he resided for the remainder of his childhood. Bowen is of Ashkenazi descent on his father's side and Afro-Cuban on his mother's. In high school, Bowen was the valedictorian of class, graduating with a 4.0 GPA. He went on to attend Stanford University and graduated with a bachelor's in chemistry and two master's in music composition and humanities. Bowen earned his joint doctorate in musicology and humanities in 1994.
Career in academia
Bowen began his academic career in 1982 serving a lecturer at his alma mater, Stanford University. In 1994, Bowen was selected as the founding director of the Centre for the History and Analysis of Recorded Music at University of Southampton. He subsequently became the first endowed Caestecker Chair of Music at Georgetown University. At Georgetown, Bowen created and directed the Department of Performing Arts. From 2004-2006, Bowen was the Dean of Fine Arts of Miami University. In 2006, Bowen became the Dean of Meadows School of the Arts at Southern Methodist University.
Bowen was elected in 2014 by the Goucher College Board of Trustees to become the eleventh president of the college, succeeding Sanford J. Ungar. During his tenure, Bowen has undertaken initiatives to redefine the school's admissions process to encourage greater diversity, reshape the curriculum, build upon the campus's infrastructure, and renovate and expand existing facilities. In 2017, Bowen offered to forgo a salary increase and extended his contract with Goucher through June 2022. In October 2018, Bowen announced that he would resign as president of Goucher on June 30, 2019.
Music and written works
Bowen is an experienced jazz pianist and has himself composed many Jewish-inspired musical pieces such as a jazz Shabbat, a fusion of jazz and klezmer influences, and Hanukkah music. Bowen has performed his jazz-style Shabbat at synagogues. He also composed a Jewish choral music work titled "Voice from the Attic" that includes text from Anne Frank's diary.
Bowen served on the executive committee and as a track note writer for Jazz: The Smithsonian Anthology. He was also a founding board member of the National Recording Preservation Board for the Library of Congress. Bowen has written more than 100 scholarly articles and edited the 2003 Cambridge Companion to Conducting. His book "Teaching Naked: How Moving Technology Out of Your College Classroom Will Improve Student Learning" was published in 2012, and earned him the 2014 Frederic W. Ness Book Award. In 2017, he co-authored the companion novel "Teaching Naked Techniques: A Practical Guide to Designing Better Classes."
Honors and awards
Bowen was awarded a National Endowment for the Humanities fellowship and was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. In 2010, he was honored by Stanford University as a Distinguished Alumni Scholar. Bowen was awarded the 8th annual Ernest L. Boyer Award in 2018 by the New American Colleges and Universities.
- Pinheiro, Kristen K. "Multifaceted Visionary" (PDF). The Goucher Quarterly.
- "Board of Trustees announces Jose Bowen as 11th president". The Quindecim. 2014-04-22. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "Liturgy with a Latin beat Georgetown University 'jazz guy' updates Shabbat service". www.dallasjewishweek.com. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- Brown, Sloane. "Take 10 with Jose Antonio Bowen, Goucher College president". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "Playing a New Tune". jewishtimes.com. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "Jose Antonio Bowen is leaving as dean of Meadows School of the Arts to become president at Goucher College". Dallas News. 2014-03-12. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "History | Department of Architecture + Interior Design | CCA - Miami University". miamioh.edu. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- Sun, Liz Bowie, The Baltimore. "SMU arts dean named Goucher's next president". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "Colleges Make It Easier for Students to Show, Not Tell, in Their Applications". Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- "A Conversation With Goucher's New President". Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- Prudente, Tim. "Goucher College president forgoes raise, agrees to contract extension". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- "Goucher president receives five-year contract extension". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- Bowie, Sarah Meehan, Liz. "Goucher College president to step down in 2019". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2018-10-19.
- "Jose Bowen and the Visions of Jazz | Art&Seek". Art&Seek. 2011-04-05. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "Jewish Jazz Junkie". Washington City Paper. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "The Smithsonian takes a new look at Jazz - America's musical invention - SMU". www.smu.edu. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- College, Goucher. "Goucher College Announces Jose Antonio Bowen as Incoming President". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- A., Davis, James (2016). The Music History Classroom. Brookfield: Taylor and Francis. ISBN 1317023501. OCLC 941696425.
- The Cambridge companion to conducting. Bowen, José Antonio. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 2003. ISBN 0521527910. OCLC 51647733.
- Lewin, Tamar (2014-10-31). "A Conversation With Goucher's New President". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- Antonio,, Bowen, José (2012). Teaching naked : how moving technology out of your college classroom will improve student learning (First ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, a Wiley imprint. ISBN 1118238087. OCLC 778417681.
- "Teaching Naked by SMU Meadows Dean José Antonio Bowen Receives National Award - Meadows School of the Arts - SMU". www.smu.edu. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- Antonio,, Bowen, José. Teaching naked techniques : a practical guide to designing better classes. Watson, C. Edward,. San Francisco, CA. ISBN 9781119136118. OCLC 956351067.
- "José Antonio Bowen Accepts NAC&U Ernest L. Boyer Award". NAC&U: New American Colleges and Universities. 2018-02-01. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
Sanford J. Ungar
| President of Goucher College
| Dean of Southern Methodist University Meadows School of the Arts
Samuel S. Holland