Kopaonik ski resort
|Kopaonik ski resort|
Kopaonik ski resort trails
|Nearest city||Brus, Serbia|
|Top elevation||2,017 m (6,617 ft) (Pančić's Peak)|
|Base elevation||1,770 m (5,810 ft)|
|Skiable area||55 km (34 mi)|
|Longest run||3.5 km (2.2 mi)|
|Lift system||28 total (8-passenger gondola (u/c), 3 high-speed 6-passenger Superchairs, 7 High-speed quad chairs, 2 double chairs, 11 Surface and 3 kid-surface)|
Kopaonik ski resort or Kopaonik ski center (Serbian: Ски центар Копаоник, romanized: Ski centar Kopaonik), is a mountain resort and the largest center of winter tourism in Serbia. Located on the slopes of Kopaonik Mountain, it is mainly a destination for skiing and snowboarding, but also offers various other activities like tennis. In the area, there are several hotels and hostels, cafes, bars and night clubs.
Kopaonik ski resort was established in 1964, when the first chairlift was opened. In 1981, Kopaonik Mountain was proclaimed a national park of Serbia. In the same year, the International Ski Federation (FIS) recognized ski resort as an international ski center.
As of 2018, Kopaonik ski resort has 28 ski lifts, with 75 km (47 mi) of ski slopes for all categories. With around 55 km (34 mi) of alpine ski runs and 12 km (7 mi) of cross country runs, it is the largest ski resort in Serbia. Among other features, it has night skiing run and artificial snow system covering most of the resort.
Kopanik ski resort is being considered as one of the best ski resorts in Eastern Europe, with outstanding beginner and lower-intermediate terrain for skiers.
There is an annual music festival "Big Snow" held from 23 to 29 March in the area of ski resort. The festival gathers international reggae, jazz and electronic music performers.
The ski resort has a "Snow Park" for extreme skiers and snowboarders. The park has expanses of grassland, forests composed of a variety of tree species, beauty spots, and river gorges. The snow blanket lasts a long time on this mountain and there are favorable conditions for the expansion of winter tourism there.
Kopaonik ski resort is well-connected with the main transport routes in Serbia. It is linked with the Ibar highway, It is located 127 km (79 mi) (two-hour drive) from the international airport Niš Constantine the Great Airport and 287 km (178 mi) (four-hour drive) from the Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport. Also, a public heliport is located in a military base 0.8 km (0.50 mi) north of the resort.
View on Pančić's Peak during winter
- Haddad, Sam (21 November 2018). "Snowboarding in Serbia: deep powder for those without deep pockets". theguardian.com. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Kopaonik". serbia.travel. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- Bukvić, Dimitrije (9 July 2017). "Blago srebrne planine". politika.rs (in Serbian). Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Serbia's Winter Wonderland". bbc.com. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Putovanja - Destinacije - Kopaonik - skijanje i uživanje - B92 Putovanja". B92. 2011-12-03.
- Hardy, Peter (21 February 2017). "The 10 best ski resorts in Eastern Europe". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Turistički centar Kopaonik". Tckopaonik.com. 2011-11-30. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Stevs. "Intervju 2013/14: Generalni direktor JP "Skijališta Srbije" Dejan Ljevnaić". Kopaonik - infoKOP.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kopaonik ski resort.|