Old City of Bern with Kornhausplatz highlighted
|Location||Old City of Bern, Bern, Switzerland|
The Kornhausplatz is a plaza in the Old City of Bern, the medieval city center of Bern, Switzerland. It is on the edge of the Zähringerstadt which was built during the founding of the city in 1191, though the plaza wasn't built until later. It is located near the Kornhausbrücke (Kornhaus bridge) and the Zytglogge clock tower. It is part of the UNESCO Cultural World Heritage Site that encompasses the Old City.
Kornhausplatz was originally the ditch around the first city wall. Following the Great Fire of 1405 the ditch (known as the Steininbrügg-Graben) was filled in to form a plaza. For about three centuries, it was known as Platz (literally: plaza or place). In 1545 or 1546 the Kindlifresserbrunnen (Bernese German for Child Eater Fountain) was built by Hans Gieng in place of a wooden fountain on the Platz. Originally it was known as Platzbrunnen (Place Fountain), though the current name was used first in 1666.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kornhausplatz.|
- Weber, Berchtold (1976). Historisch-topographisches Lexikon der Stadt Bern. Archived from Kornhausplatz the original Check
|url=value (help) on 25 April 2009. Retrieved 22 February 2010.‹See Tfd›(in German)
- "Weber - Kornhaus" (in German). Digibern.ch. Archived from the original on 2009-04-25. Retrieved 2014-08-17.