|Part of Clan disputes of the Heian period|
|forces of various branches of Kiyohara clan||forces of Minamoto no Yoshiie, Governor of Mutsu province|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Kiyohara no Iehira, Kiyohara no Takahira, others||Minamoto no Yoshiie, Fujiwara no Kiyohira|
The Gosannen War was part of a long struggle for power within the warrior clans of the time.
The Gosannen kassen arose because of a series of quarrels within the Kiyohara clan (sometimes referred to as "Kiyowara"). The long-standing disturbances were intractable. When Minamoto no Yoshiie, who became Governor of Mutsu province in 1083, tried to calm the fighting which continued between Kiyohara no Masahira, Iehira, and Narihira.
Legacy in Art
- Varley, H. Paul. (1994). Warriors of Japan as Portrayed in the War Tales, pp. 40-45.
- Sansom, George (1958). A history of Japan to 1334. Stanford University Press. p. 249-252. ISBN 0804705232.
- Turnbull, Stephen (1998). The Samurai Sourcebook. Cassell & Co. p. 199. ISBN 1854095234.
- Turnbull, Stephen (1977). The Samurai, A Military History. MacMillan Publishing Co., Inc. p. 22-25. ISBN 0026205408.
- Varley, p. 41.
- Turnbull, Stephen. (1998). 'The Samurai Sourcebook'. London: Cassell & Co.