|Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of California|
|Assumed office |
January 5, 2015
|Appointed by||Jerry Brown|
|Preceded by||Joyce L. Kennard|
|Principal Deputy Solicitor General of the United States|
May 17, 2010 – June 9, 2011
|Preceded by||Neal Katyal|
|Succeeded by||Neal Katyal|
|Born||July 28, 1976|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Harvard University, (A.B.)|
Yale Law School, (J.D.)
Leondra Reid Kruger (born July 28, 1976) is an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of California, the court's second youngest appointee; and a former Obama administration official.
Born in the Los Angeles area, Kruger grew up in South Pasadena, California, and is the daughter of two pediatricians. She attended Polytechnic School in Pasadena, California. She then earned a Bachelor of Arts degree magna cum laude from Harvard University, where she wrote for the Harvard Crimson and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. She graduated with a Juris Doctor degree from Yale Law School, where she served as Editor-in-Chief of the Yale Law Journal. In the summer of 1999, she interned at the United States attorney's office in Los Angeles. In 2000, she worked as a summer associate at Munger, Tolles & Olson.
Kruger worked as an associate at the Jenner & Block law firm from 2001 until 2002. She then worked as a law clerk for Judge David Tatel on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit from 2002 until 2003. Kruger then clerked for Justice John Paul Stevens of the Supreme Court of the United States from 2003 until 2004.
From 2004 until 2006, Kruger was an associate at WilmerHale's predecessor, Wilmer, Cutler, Pickering, Hale and Dorr. She then was a visiting assistant professor in 2007 at the University of Chicago Law School.
On November 24, 2014, Governor Jerry Brown announced the appointment of Kruger to the California Supreme Court. She was confirmed on December 29, 2014, and replaced Associate Justice Joyce L. Kennard, who retired. She was sworn in on January 5, 2015, and became the court's second African-American woman justice, following Janice Rogers Brown. At age 38, she was the youngest appointee to the court in recent years and the third youngest appointee to the court ever, after Hugh C. Murray and M. C. Sloss. Other, younger members of the court in the past were elected: David S. Terry at age 32; Erskine Mayo Ross at age 34; Terry W. Ward at age 37; and Van R. Paterson at age 38. In November 2015, Kruger delivered the annual Bernard E. Witkin lecture before the Los Angeles County Bar Association. Her opinions include Barry v. State Bar of California (2016), concerning subject matter jurisdiction and California's anti-SLAPP statute.
Kruger is married to Brian Hauck, a partner at Jenner & Block in Los Angeles, and they have two children.
- Dolan, Maura (November 24, 2014). "Expected California Supreme Court nominee Leondra Kruger a 'mind blower'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 29, 2017.
- Siders, David (November 24, 2014). "Gov. Jerry Brown names Obama administration lawyer to California Supreme Court". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved September 29, 2017.
- "Editorial: A bold, young pick for state's high court". Sacramento Bee. November 25, 2014. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- Dolan, Maura (November 24, 2014). "Leondra R. Kruger appointed by Gov. Jerry Brown to state Supreme Court". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 29, 2017.
- "Writer: Leondra Kruger". Harvard Crimson. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- "Background of court nominee Leondra Kruger". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Associated Press. November 14, 2014. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- "Masthead, vol 110". Yale Law Journal. October 2000. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
Leondra Reid Kruger, Editor-in-chief
- "Conversation with Justice Leondra Kruger '01, sponsored by Yale Law Journal". Yale Law School. November 17, 2016. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- Little, Rory (January 12, 2015). "What can we learn from Justice Leondra Kruger's arguments before the U.S. Supreme Court?". SCOCA Blog. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- Mintz, Howard (December 22, 2014). "California Supreme Court: Leondra Kruger easily confirmed as new justice". mercurynews.com. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- Schaffer, Scott; Brekke, Dan (November 24, 2015). "Gov. Brown's Surprise Pick to Fill Supreme Court Vacancy". KQED News. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- "Governor Brown to Swear in Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar and Leondra Kruger to the California Supreme Court". 22 December 2014. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- Egelko, Bob (July 28, 2017). "Why you should care about who will sit on California's Supreme Court". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved August 20, 2017.
- "Second Black woman confirmed to state supreme court". Our Weekly (Los Angeles, CA). January 22, 2015. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- Johnson, J. Edward (1963). History of the California Supreme Court: The Justices 1850-1900, vol 1 (PDF). San Francisco, CA: Bender Moss Co. p. 54. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
Murray had been appointed to the Court at age twenty-six, was Chief Justice at thirty, and died when he was thirty-two.
- "Leondra Kruger '01, Associate Justice of the California Supreme Court, Delivered the 2015 Bernard Witkin Lecture". Yale Law School News. November 12, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- Barry v. State Bar of California, 2016 S.O.S. 45.
- "Supreme Court Says: Anti-SLAPP Not Dependent on Subject Matter Jurisdiction". Metropolitan News-Enterprise. January 6, 2017. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- Miller, Cheryl (March 2, 2016). "California Justice Leondra Kruger Gives Birth to Daughter". The Recorder. ALM Media Properties, LLC. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
Media related to Leondra Kruger at Wikimedia Commons
- Profile. California State Courts.
- Oral arguments of Leondra R. Kruger before the U.S. Supreme Court. Oyez.com.
- Profile of Leondra R. Kruger. SCOCAL. Robert Crown Law Library, Stanford Law School.
- Past & Present Justices. California Supreme Court.
- Confirmation Hearing of Leondra R. Kruger. Video 35:49 mins. December 22, 2014. YouTube.com.
- Presentation of Leondra R. Kruger at the ABA Criminal Justice Section annual meeting. August 5, 2016. Video 22:59 mins. YouTube.com.
- Appearances on C-SPAN
Joyce L. Kennard
| Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of California