Test

Lion of Mari

Loading...
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lion of Mari
Statue of lion-AO 19520 19824-P5280748-gradient.jpg
ArtistUnknown
YearEarly 2nd millennium BCE
MediumCopped
SubjectLion
Dimensions40 cm × 70 cm (16 in × 28 in)
LocationLe Louvre, Paris
OwnerDepartment of Near Eastern Antiquities of the Louvre
AccessionAO 19520, AO 19824
WebsiteStatue de lion

The Lion of Mari is a copper statue of a lion found in 1936 by André Parrot at the Temple of Lions in Mari, Syria. The statue is damaged, having been crushed during the destruction of the site, and only the anterior part of the body remains. It is currently on display in the Near Eastern Antiquities Department of the Louvre.

The Lion of Mari was probably produced to serve as Protome in the early Second Millennium BCE, presumably during the reign of Zimrī-Lim. It was excavated in 1936 by the Parrot expedition at the Temple of Dagon of in Mari (now Tell Hariri, Syria) and is now on display at the Louvre; its twin figure is on display at the National Museum of Aleppo.

Notes and references[edit]