List of most visited museums
This article lists museums with more than two million annual visitors reported in the most recent surveys of museum attendance. A museum is defined as a building or institution dedicated to the acquisition, care, research, and exhibition of numerous objects that represent the legacy of humankind and its environment.
Criteria for inclusion
Major sources for this list are the Art Newspaper's annual exhibition and museum visitor figures, which includes only art museums, and the TEA/AECOM Museum Index. The research for the Museum Index is conducted by the consulting firm AECOM, a Fortune 500 consulting company. The list includes art museums, history museums, natural history museums, and science museums, but does not include archaeological sites or historical monuments, and many palace museums.[a] This list generally follows that guideline, so the Palace of Versailles, Peterhof Palace, and Forbidden City are not included. Though these sites include some museum collections, they are found in the List of most visited palaces and monuments. The list also includes one site, the Mevlana Museum, a mausoleum and religious shrine which is classified by the Turkish government as a museum. However, it does not include Hagia Sofia, which the Turkish government also classifies as a museum.
- List of most visited art museums
- List of most visited museums by region
- List of largest art museums
- List of most visited museums in the Netherlands
- List of most visited museums in the United Kingdom
- Some well-attended palace museums are not included in either publication, although they are sometimes classified as museums by their respective national cultural agencies. These include Beijing's Forbidden City (which, with more than 17 million visitors in 2018, was ranked as the most-visited museum by the China Daily News Agency); the Palace of Versailles (8,132,518 visitors in 2018); Peterhof Palace (5,714,700 visitors in 2018), which is formally classified either as a "Дворцо́во-па́рковый анса́мбль, or Palace-Park Ensemble" or as a "Museum-Park Ensemble" by the Russian Ministry of Culture; the Museum of King John III's Palace at Wilanów (3,279,889 visitors in 2017); and Istanbul's Topkapı Palace (2,980,450 visitors in 2018).
- Includes visitors at the main Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Met Cloisters, but not the 398,922 visitors recorded at the Met Breuer.
- Includes only the visitors recorded at the main museum in Taipei, and not the 991,666 visitors recorded at the Southern Branch.
- "Definition of MUSEUM". www.merriam-webster.com. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Museum Definition - ICOM". icom.museum. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "MUSEUM | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary". dictionary.cambridge.org. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "museum | Definition of museum in English by Oxford Dictionaries". Oxford Dictionaries | English. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Museum definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary". www.collinsdictionary.com. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "museum | Definition, History, Types, & Operation". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "museum (noun) American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary". www.macmillandictionary.com. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Beijing's Forbidden City ranks most visited museum in the world". China Daily. 18 December 2018. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "5 most visited museums". European Group on Museum Statistics. 2018. Retrieved 28 July 2019.
- "Музеи. Статистическая информация". Ministry of Culture of Russia. 2019. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Most visited museums in Turkey". Deema Tourism and International Trade. 22 January 2019. Retrieved 12 April 2019.
- "TEA/AECOM 2018 Theme Index and Museum Index Report" (PDF). May 2019.
- "Art's most popular: Exhibition and museum visitor figures 2018" (PDF). The Art Newspaper. April 2019.
- "Visitors to the Principal Tourist Spots in Taiwan, January-December 2018". Tourism Bureau, MOTC. Retrieved 12 April 2019.
- "Estadística de Visitantes" (in Spanish). INAH. Retrieved 12 April 2019.
- "2018 Visitor Figures". Association of Leading Visitor Attractions. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Рейтинг музеев – 2019: как российские музеи борются за посещаемость" (in Russian). The Art Newspaper Russia. 14 May 2019. Retrieved 13 June 2019.