|Elevation||−3,770 feet (−1,149 m)|
|Parent range||Hawaiian Islands|
|Topo map||USGS Kamuela|
|Mountain type||Shield volcano, Hotspot volcano|
|Volcanic arc/belt||Hawaiian-Emperor seamount chain|
|Last eruption||About 470,000 BP|
Māhukona is a submerged shield volcano on the northwestern flank of the Island of Hawaiʻi. A drowned coral reef at about 3,770 feet (-1,150 m) below sea level and a major break in slope at about 4,400 feet (-1,340 m) below sea level represent old shorelines. The summit of the shield volcano was once 800 feet (250 m) above sea level. It has now subsided below sea level. A roughly circular caldera marks the summit of Māhukona. A prominent rift zone extends to the west. A second rift zone probably extended to the east but has been buried by younger volcanoes. The main shield-building stage of volcanism ended about 470,000 years ago. The summit of the shield volcano subsided below sea level between 435,000 and 365,000 years ago. This makes Māhukona the oldest volcano to build Hawaiʻi island, compared to Kohala to the east and Hualālai to the southeast. The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute investigated the area with a remotely controlled submarine in 2001.
- "Mahukona, Hawaii". Volcano World. Oregon State University. Archived from the original on 2012-02-16. Retrieved June 23, 2010. attributed to:
David A. Clague; James G. Moore (April 1991). "Geology and Petrology of Mahukona Volcano". Bulletin of Volcanology. 53 (3): 159–172. Bibcode:1991BVol...53..159C. doi:10.1007/BF00301227.
- "Volcanoes of the Big Island". Volcano Watch. Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. September 15, 1995. Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- "Hawaii Cruise: March 13, 2001 to June 2, 2001". Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute. Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Māhukona
- David A. Clague; Andrew T. Calvert (July 2009). "Postshield stage transitional volcanism on Mahukona Volcano, Hawaii". Bulletin of Volcanology. 71 (5): 533–539. Bibcode:2008BVol..tmp...50C. doi:10.1007/s00445-008-0240-z.
|This Hawaiʻi state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|