|Founded||29 March 2000|
|Founder||Rahul Sharma |
|Rahul Sharma |
|Owner||Rahul Sharma |
Micromax is an Indian consumer electronics company headquartered in Gurugram, Haryana, India. It was established as an IT Software company operating in the Embedded Devices Domain. It later entered the Mobile Handset business.
By 2010, Micromax was one of the largest domestic companies making handsets in the low-cost feature phone segment in India. As of Q3 2014, Micromax is the Tenth Largest Smartphone vendor in the world. The company is facing stiff competition from Chinese companies that are penetrating the Indian market. The company also owns YU Televentures, which sells the products under the brand name YU.
- 1 History
- 2 Segments
- 3 Products
- 4 Manufacturing in India
- 5 International Markets
- 6 YU Televentures - 100% owned subsidiary
- 7 Recent Launches
- 8 Micromax Infinity N12
- 9 Ongoing Projects and Partnerships
- 10 Endorsements
- 11 Key awards and achievements
- 12 Controversies
- 13 See also
- 14 References
Micromax was incorporated as Micromax Informatics Ltd. in the year 2000 by Rahul Sharma and Rajesh Agarwal. It began selling mobile phones in 2008, focusing on democratising technology for masses to compete with international players
The company has also introduced handsets ( budget and flagship) with innovative features. For instance, Micromax's co-founder Rahul Sharma once saw a public call office being powered by a truck battery because of frequent power cuts in its locale. This prompted him to launch a feature mobile phone with a long battery life.[better source needed] This was the X1i phone, Micromax's first telephone with a month-long battery back-up.
In 2014, Micromax's sales in India exceeded those of Samsung. It became the mobile telephone manufacturer shipping the most telephones in one quarter in India. On 24 January 2014, Micromax became the first Indian mobile company to sell in Russia. As of 10 April 2016, Micromax announced a strategic partnership with digital payments company TranServ and major global payments technology Visa to offer the next generation of payment solutions in India.
Televisions; Air Conditioners; Refrigerators & Washing Machines. Known for mobile handsets and LED TV panels, Micromax is also expanding its portfolio in the consumer electronics segment, targeting the 'premium economy' consumers.
In 2010, Micromax entered the tablet computer market with the debut of the Funbook series. Micromax launched its first eight-core flagship smartphone, Canvas Knight A350, in January 2014 for the Russian market. In the same year, Micromax launched the Android One smartphone, Canvas A1. In November 2014, Micromax partnered with Cyanogen Inc. to provide Cyanogen-based smartphones in India, under the brand name YU.
Micromax launched Micromax Canvas Sliver 5, which it claimed was the slimmest telephone in the world on 17 June 2015. The company is an official Windows Phone 8.1 hardware partner. In June 2014, it launched two Windows smartphones, the Micromax Canvas Win W092 and the Micromax Canvas Win W121.
On 8 June 2015, Micromax announced the launch of Micromax Amaze 2. The device has a 5-inch IPS display with resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels. The smartphone is powered by a 1.4 GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor with 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal storage.
A year later, Micromax announced the launch of Micromax Canvas Unite 4 and Canvas Unite 4 Pro. Both these smartphones run on Indus OS 2.0. The Canvas Unite 4 is powered by a 1.0 GHz quad-core processor with 1 GB RAM. The Micromax Canvas Unite 4 Pro had more powerful specifications, featuring a 1.3 GHz quad-core processor with 2 GB RAM.
In 2016, Micromax Canvas Mega 2 was launched and shipped with a massive 6-inch screen. This device is classified within the budget segment, selling for ₹6,500.
In an attempt to regain market share lost to Chinese competitors, Micromax has announced Micromax Vdeo Series 4G Mobiles. Vdeo series is aimed at entry-level smartphone buyers, or first-time smartphone users. This has been the stronghold of Micromax in India. Micromax have also introduced these phones in Russia. So far, Micromax has already launched 3 models - Vdeo 2, Vdeo 4, and Vdeo 5. The company is expected to consistently update this range with new iterations.
With the entry of Jio services, India has witnessed tremendous adoption of 4G enabled mobile phones. To capture these early first time 4G adapters, Micromax has started rolling out basic smartphones with 4G capabilities under the Bharat series. So far, the company has already launched Bharat 2 - which is considered as one of India's cheapest 4G mobile phones.
In an attempt to reinvent itself, and to enter the premium segment, Micromax has announced the entry of Micromax Dual 5 and Micromax Dual 4 in India.
Later in August 2017, Micromax launched its first bezel-less smartphone with an aspect ratio of 18:9. This device called Canvas Infinity still fell within the budget category. For ₹9,999, users enjoy other features such as the 16 MP Front Camera.
Bharat 2, which was introduced in Q3 2017 became the largest selling phone in the under ₹5,000 budget segment in India. The company will expand its Bharat series of phones and will launch Bharat 5 in India. This is the sixth Micromax phone under the Bharat series. Earlier Micromax launched - Bharat 1, Bharat 2, Bharat 2 Plus, Bharat 2 Ultra, Bharat 3 and Bharat 4.
Now, on December 12, 2018, Micromax announced its first phone having a traditional notch that was featured by Apple a year ago. This can be seen on the teaser of the phone with highlited notch that micromax has posted on several social media platforms. The phone will be launched on December 18, 2018. There are no official announcements of the specifications of the phone but as seen on the teaser, reveals its dual camera set up on front and back with LED flash on both sides as well and a notch display.
Manufacturing in India
Mobile phones, LED TVs, LED lights and Tablets. Government would be providing land to Micromax for setting up the centre, which has a capacity to produce 10 lakh devices a month, which include mobile phones, LED TVs, LED lights and Tablets. It presently employs 700 people. The firm's first facility in Uttarakhand has a capacity to produce 16 lakh devices.
Hyderabad, Bhiwadi, Rudrapur and Telangana. Micromax phones are 100% manufactured in India. Micromax have three factories- Bhiwadi (Rajasthan), Rudrapur, (Uttarakhand) and Telangana. In Bhiwadi, the SMT (surface-mount-technology) line is already operational & trials are running in Rudrapur. For Telangana, the machinery is under import. Altogether, Micromax will have a capacity of about 30 LAKH a month for mobile phones.
Micromax started manufacturing LED televisions and tablets at its factory in Rudrapur (SIDCUL), Uttarakhand, in April 2014. As of August 2015[update], Micromax was set to start a ₹500 crore (US$72 million) manufacturing plant in Rajasthan's Alwar district after the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Rajasthan government and Bhagwati Products Ltd. The company also plans to set up a manufacturing plant in Hyderabad with an investment of about ₹400 crore (US$58 million) to ₹500 crore (US$72 million).
Micromax has started international business a few years back with markets like Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bhutan and Bangladesh and since then grown their presence to other markets as well. Micromax have a 5% share in Russia. Also exploring Middle East and a cluster of countries in Africa.
YU Televentures - 100% owned subsidiary
The first product, to be launched under a newly floated wholly owned unit, YU Televentures, is a smartphone with operating system from US-based Cyanogen through which Micromax aims to move beyond the business of mobile phone hardware that has become more or less standardised.
History of YU
Micromax founder Rahul Sharma launched YU, a new Smartphone company with a phone called Yureka. Yureka, the first phone from the new brand, runs the Android-based modified Cyanogenmod operating system which is exclusive to it in India. It also sports a price tag of ₹8,999, which seems pretty good when you consider the hardware specifications.
Micromax Infinity N12
Micromax Infinity N11 smartphone was launched in December 2018. The phone comes with a 6.19-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 720x1500 pixels. Micromax Infinity N11 is powered by a 2GHz octa-core MediaTek Helio P22 SoC processor. It comes with 2GB of RAM. The Micromax Infinity N11 runs Android 8.1 and is powered by a 4,000mAh battery. As far as the cameras are concerned, the Micromax Infinity N11 on the rear packs a 13-megapixel primary camera and a second 5-megapixel camera. It sports a 8-megapixel camera on the front for selfies. Micromax Infinity N11 based on Android 8.1 and packs 32GB of inbuilt storage that can be expanded via microSD card (up to 128GB) with a dedicated slot. The Micromax Infinity N11 is a dual-SIM (GSM and GSM) smartphone that accepts Nano-SIM and Nano-SIM cards. Connectivity options on the Micromax Infinity N11 include Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, GPS, Micro-USB, 3G, and 4G (with support for Band 40 used by some LTE networks in India) with active 4G on both SIM cards. Sensors on the phone include accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, and proximity sensor. The Micromax Infinity N11 supports face unlock.
Following the latest 18:9 trend, the smartphone features a 5.4-inch HD+ Full View display with the screen resolution of 720 pixels. Powered by a 1.5 GHz Quad-core Mediatek 6739 processor, the device runs on the latest Android Oreo operating system. Furthermore, backed up by 2GB RAM + 16GB internal storage, the handset will later be launched in 3GB RAM + 32GB storage variants as well.
Canvas 3 TV
Running Android Nougat out of the box, Micromax Canvas 3 allows media sharing and wireless smartphone control. The TV comes in different screen sizes: 32-inch, 40-inch and 50-inch. Micromax Canvas 3 TV sports an HD ready screen featuring 1,366 x 768 pixels resolution. It runs Android OS and supports a wide variety of apps. It allows users to surf the web, check emails, download apps and much more. It packs 1GB RAM and 5.5GB storage. As for connectivity, Micromax Canvas 3 provides users with 3 HDMI ports and 2 USB ports.
Ongoing Projects and Partnerships
Micromax and the telecom major Reliance Jio has bagged a ₹1,500 crore order from the Chhattisgarh government to distribute 50 lakh smartphones to women and students in the state. Under the project, 45 lakh smartphones are being given to women and the remaining will be distributed to college students in the state. The project was given through a tender process. The beneficiaries will receive 1GB 4G data, 100 minutes voice calls and 100 SMS per month for six months, following which they will be offered tariff plans that are most affordable and competitively priced.
Actors Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna were the first celebrities to endorse Micromax Mobiles. Hugh Jackman was the brand ambassador of Micromax and appeared in a commercial in 2013 for its first flagship smartphone, the Canvas Turbo A250, and for the Canvas 4 and Canvas Sliver 5 thereafter. In July 2013, actor Chitrangada Singh posed for the Canvas 4 smartphone in New Delhi.
Key awards and achievements
In March 2013, Ericsson sued Micromax for infringement of Ericsson's eight patents registered in India that were essential to the 2G and 3G standards. The Delhi High Court ordered Micromax to pay royalty amounts to Ericsson based on the percentages of the net selling prices of the devices incorporating 2G and 3G standards. Around the time that Ericsson filed its patent infringement suit, Micromax filed a concurrent complaint with the Competition Commission of India (CCI), alleging that Ericsson had abused its allegedly dominant position by imposing exorbitant royalties for the use of its SEPs, thus violating the Competition Act 2002. As of February 2016, the CCI had yet to issue a final determinative ruling on the basis of Micromax's allegations.
In late 2014, New Delhi High Court ruled that sales of the OnePlus One smartphone are blocked in India because Cyanogen OS signed an exclusive deal to sell Micromax mobile telephones only in India, although One Plus One had a worldwide licensing deal. This move was seen as a monopoly to stem the sales of One Plus One and other smartphone brands. However, the High Court lifted the ban, allowing One Plus One to be sold in India as the licensing deals with Cyanogen are different for both parties.
Stealthy installation of Adware
In early 2015, a Reddit user found adware installing itself stealthily on his/her Micromax A093 Canvas Fire telephone without permission. The adware was also using excess telephone resources such as data, memory storage, and battery life. Further investigations by the XDA community found the advertisements were created by Adups, an AdPush company based in China.
- "Micromax becomes number one mobile phone company in India". Patrika Group (5 August 2014). Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- Lison, Joseph (27 June 2011). "We never thought we would sell 1.8 million handsets a month: Micromax co-founder". DNA. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- PTI. "Micromax world's 10th largest mobile phone brand in Q1: Gartner". Livemint (Press release). Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "India's Micromax, once a rising star, struggles". Reuters. 13 March 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "Official website of YU". YuPlayGod. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "Micromax Informatics Ltd". tofler.in.
- Limaye, Jayesh (13 February 2013). "Micromax, An Indian Mobile Phone Company That Got It Right". Techtree. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- Singh, A. "Micromax: Capitalising on innovation and pricing". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "IQ India 2012 Speakers and Panelists". Fonearena. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- Dharmakumar, Rohin (27 February 2010). "Micromax Mobile Advantage". forbesindia.com. forbesindia.com.
- "Micromax beats Samsung, becomes India's No. 1 vendor: Report". The Times of India. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- Satpathy, Sambit (23 January 2014). "Indian mobile phone brand Micromax launches in Russia, aims to release 14 smartphones in 2014". BGR. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Micromax, TranServ, Visa form strategic partnership". ABP Live. 10 April 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "Micromax to launch 13 smartphones by March 2019, new smartphone coming on September 20". themobileindian. 3 September 2018.
- "Micromax forays into refrigerator, washing machine segments". retail.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 10 March 2018.
- Khurana, Rohit (27 August 2013). "Micromax Canvas Series India- Evolution And How It Affected Indian Smartphone Market". intellectdigest.in. intellectdigest.in.
- "Cyanogen Inc Announces Micromax Partnership In India, Forming The YU smartphone brand". Micromax Co. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Micromax's YU brand handset to be launched next month". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Micromax Launches New Phone Brand YU, Powered by Cyanogen OS". Micromax Co. (19 November 2014). Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Micromax Canvas Sliver 5 Launched, world slimmest phone Archived 19 June 2015 at the Wayback Machine, News Exprezz, 19 June 2015.
- "Microsoft announces Windows Phone 8.1, Micromax new hardware partner". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Micromax introduces Canvas Win series; Launches two Windows-based phones- Canvas Win W121 and Canvas Win W092!". Microsoft News Center India. Microsoft. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Micromax Canvas Amaze 2 launched with a 5-inch display at Rs 7,499". Indian Express. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "Micromax Canvas Unite 4 and Canvas Unite 4 Pro launched in India with Indus OS 2.0". MobiGyaan. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "Micromax Bharat 5 to launch in India today | Gadgets Now". Gadget Now. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "Micromax to invest ₹2,000 cr in manufacturing". thehindubusinessline. 20 January 2018.
- "Micromax will grow steadily, organically, says co-founder Vikas Jain". dnaindia.com.
- "Micromax starts manufacturing smartphones in India". The Economic Times. 23 April 2014.
- "Micromax plant worth Rs 500 crore to come up in Rajasthan". Firstpost. 24 August 2015.
- "Micromax to Invest Up to Rs. 500 Crore on Hyderabad Plant". NDTV Gadgets. 24 August 2015.
- "Micromax aims to be among world's top 5 handset companies". economictimes.indiatimes.com. 7 February 2016.
- "Micromax plans to do a Xiaomi, launches new brand 'Yu'". economictimes.indiatimes.com. 19 November 2014.
- Nandagopal Rajan (20 December 2014). "Micromax founder Rahul Sharma launches Yu, a new smartphone company with a phone called Yureka". The Indian Express.
- "Micromax Yu Ace launched in India at a price tag of Rs 5,999". themobileindian.com. 26 December 2018.
- "MiMicromax Canvas 3 Android-based Smart TV announced: Price in India, specifications". indianexpress.com.
- "Micromax, Reliance Jio bag ₹ 1,500 crore order from Chhattisgarh govt". themobileindian.com. 17 September 2018.
- Bollywood Hungama. "Twinkle Khanna chosen to endorse Micromax Mobiles?". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Hugh Jackman to be face of Micromax. The Hindu (18 October 2013). Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- "Chitrangada Singh Sizzles at Micromax Canvas 4 Launch!". Times Internet. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "V&D 100 Awards: Emerging Company of the Year-Micromax Informatics". voicendata.com. 23 August 2011.
- "AIMA Managing India Awards 2017". fresherslive.com. 29 April 2017.
- J. Gregory Sidak (2015). "FRAND in India: The Delhi High Court's Emerging Jurisprudence on Royalties for Standard-Essential Patents". Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice. 10 (8): 609–618. doi:10.1093/jiplp/jpv096.
- "Micromax is highjacking my phone, installing apps and showing ads. What can I do?". Reddit. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Diamondback (14 January 2015). "Micromax Remotely Installing Unwanted Apps on Devices". XDA-Developers. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Prabhu, Vijay (18 January 2015). "Micromax Remotely Installing Adware on its Smartphones causing unwanted downloads and popups". India: Techworm. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Khan, Haider Ali (12 October 2018). "Rajesh Agarwal, Co-Founder of Micromax Informatics". mymobileindia. Retrieved 12 October 2018.