|Owned by||Mairie de Paris|
|Size||19 hectares (47 acres)|
|No. of graves||35,000|
|Find a Grave||Montparnasse Cemetery|
Created from three farms in 1824, the cemetery at Montparnasse was originally known as Le Cimetière du Sud (Southern Cemetery). Cemeteries had been banned from Paris since the closure, owing to health concerns, of the Cimetière des Innocents in 1786. Several new cemeteries outside the precincts of the capital replaced all the internal Parisian ones in the early 19th century: Montmartre Cemetery in the north, Père Lachaise Cemetery in the east, and Montparnasse Cemetery in the south. At the heart of the city, and today sitting in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower, is Passy Cemetery.
Montparnasse Cemetery is the resting place of many of France's intellectual and artistic elite as well as publishers and others who promoted the works of authors and artists. There are also many graves of foreigners who made France their home, as well as monuments to police and firefighters killed in the line of duty in the city of Paris.
The cemetery is divided by Rue Émile Richard. The small section is usually referred to as the small cemetery (petit cimetière) and the large section as the big cemetery (grand cimetière).
Because of the many notable people buried there, it is a highly popular tourist attraction.
Divisions 5 and 30 were originally Jewish enclosures and contain many Jewish graves.
Tomb of Charles Baudelaire
The Charles Baudelaire Cenotaph.
Julio Cortázar's grave.
Grave of Urbain Le Verrier
Grave of François Pouqueville
Grave of Edgar Quinet
Tomb of Shapour Bakhtiar
The main entrance to the cemetery is on Boulevard Edgar Quinet which leads to the big cemetery. There are smaller entrances to both the big and small cemeteries on Rue Émile Richard (near the junction with both Boulevard Raspail and Boulevard Edgar Quinet).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Montparnasse Cemetery.|
- A list of many buried at the cemetery
- Montparnasse Cemetery at Find a Grave
- Information and help in touring Montparnasse cemetery in English.