Peter Jones (department store)
After serving an apprenticeship with a draper in Cardigan he moved to London and established a small shop in Marylebone Lane. He then moved to central London, and in 1877 moved to 4–6 Kings Road the site of the present store. The business flourished, soon expanding to cover most of the block, occupied on a 999-year lease from the Cadogan estate at £6,000 per year, the terms of which have never been increased.
After a period of troubled trading and the death of Peter Jones, the store was purchased by John Lewis of the eponymous Oxford Street store, who handed it over to his son John Spedan Lewis in 1914. Soon after it became part of the John Lewis profit sharing partnership.
The present building, which occupies an entire island site on the west side of Sloane Square, was built between 1932 and 1936 to designs by William Crabtree of the firm of Slater, Crabtree and Moberly. The building is the first modern-movement use of the glass curtain wall in Britain (not, as is often claimed, the first per se, as late-Victorian examples in the gothic revival style exist) and is now a Grade II* listed building.
Tony Wheeler was appointed managing director of the store in 2011.
- "The Land Question in Britain". Palgrave Macmillan. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "Peter Jones, Sloane Square, London". The modern shop: architecture & shopping between the wars. Victoria and Albert Museum. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- Glancey, Jonathan (14 June 2004). "Escalator to Heaven". theguardian.com. London: The Guardian. Retrieved 4 April 2008.
- Peter Jones website shop information, accessed 29 June 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter Jones (department store).|
|This article about a retailer in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|