Old City of Bern with Postgasse highlighted
|Length||300 m (1,000 ft)|
|Location||Old City of Bern, Bern, Switzerland|
The Postgasse is one of the streets in the Old City of Bern, the medieval city center of Bern, Switzerland. It is part of the Zähringerstadt which was built during the foundation of the city in 1191. It runs from Nydeggstalden near the Aare river in the east to the transverse Kreuzgasse, where the name changes to Rathausgasse. It is part of the UNESCO Cultural World Heritage Site that encompasses the Old City.
Starting in 1300, the street that would become Rathausgasse and Postgasse was known as Hormansgasse or Hormatsgasse. The Horman family, the origin of the name, lived in Bern from 1224-1326. Since 1619 the upper section (now Rathausgasse) was known as Metzgergasse (Butcher's Lane), while the lower section was first called Postgasse in 1798. In 1675, in the house at Nr. 64/66, the Fischer'sche Post was first built which was the origin of the name in the following century. However, while the name was official in 1798, it wasn't until about 1870 that it became common. In the mean time, the Post moved from Postgasse in 1832.
- Weber, Berchtold (1976). Hormansgasse Historisch-topographisches Lexikon der Stadt Bern Check
|url=value (help). Retrieved 28 January 2010.(in German)
- Weber - Postgasse
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance Archived 1 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine 21.11.2008 version, (in German) accessed 29-Jan-2010
- Church of St. Anthony website (in German) accessed 29 January 2010