Saint-Ambroise gave the neighborhood its name, the quartier Saint-Ambroise. Its length is 87 metres, and the towers are 68 metres high.
Construction and consecration
Located at 71 Boulevard Voltaire, Saint-Ambroise was built between 1863 and 1868, shortly after the construction of the new Boulevard du Prince-Eugène, which was later renamed Boulevard Voltaire. It replaced a church called Notre-Dame de la Procession which was located close to the path of the new street at about the location of the public garden. The church was designed by architect Théodore Ballu.
Saint-Ambroise was consecrated by cardinal Léon-Adolphe Amette on 7 December 1910.
On 18 March 1996 the church was occupied by about three hundred African immigrants who demanded regularization of their immigration status. After four days the group was ordered to leave by public authorities. A similar situation arose at the église Saint-Bernard.
Garden and sculpture
- Media related to Église Saint-Ambroise at Wikimedia Commons