This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Province||Archdiocese of Paris|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Sunday - 9:45 Tridentine Mass
Thursday - 18:30 Tridentine Mass
|Location||2 Place du Louvre, 1e|
|Architectural style||French Gothic|
|Direction of façade||West|
Founded in the 7th century, the church was rebuilt many times over several centuries. The existing building was erected mostly in the 15th century, though some portions date to the late 13th century. It now has construction in Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance styles. The most striking exterior feature is the porch, with a rose window and a balustrade above which encircles the whole church, a work of Jean Gaussel (1435–39). The belfry, which is older than the main building, was embellished in the 19th century.
Among the treasures preserved inside are a 15th-century wooden statue of Saint Germain, a stone carved statue of Saint-Vincent, a stone sculpture of Isabelle of France, a Flemish altarpiece carved out of wood, and the famous "churchwarden's pew" where important people sat, made in 1683 by François, Le Mercier from drawings by Charles Le Brun.
During the Wars of Religion, its bell called "Marie" sounded on the night of 23 August 1572, marking the beginning of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre. Thousands of Huguenots, who visited the city for a royal wedding, were killed by the mob of Paris. A splendid stained glass still remains, in spite of plunderings during the French Revolution. The north tower was added in 1860 and stands opposite the Mairie of the 1st Arrondissement (1859).
A Tridentine mass (traditional latin Mass) is celebrated everyday at the church, as well as on Sunday. A sung Mass on Sunday evenings is also celebrated, making the church one of the few in Paris to still celebrate the Tridentine mass.
Alexandre Boëly was organist at this church from 1840 to 1851. Notable burials include François de Malherbe (1628), Antoine Coysevox (1720), François Boucher (1770), and Jean-Baptiste Siméon Chardin (1779).
- Presses Universitaires de France (1864). Revue Archéologique (in French). Paris: Presses Universitaires de France. p. 595. OCLC 220839783.
- Christ, Yvan (1956). Églises de Paris (in French). Paris: Éditions des Deux Mondes. p. 17. OCLC 1208129.
- "Église Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois de Paris » Tous nos horaires". saintgermainlauxerrois.fr. Retrieved 2018-07-21.