Sant Just Desvern
Sant Just Desvern
|• Mayor||Josep Perpinyà Palau (2015)|
|• Total||7.8 km2 (3.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||122 m (400 ft)|
|• Density||2,100/km2 (5,400/sq mi)|
Sant Just Desvern (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈsaɲ ˈʒust dəzˈβɛɾn]; Old Catalan for "Saint Justin of-the-Buckthorn") is a town near Barcelona, in the comarca of the Baix Llobregat, Catalonia, Spain. Baix Llobregat has an area of 486.5km2, population of 643,419 inhabitants (1996), density of 1322.5 inhabitants/km2 and Sant Feliu de Llobregat is the capital.
Sant Just Desvern is located in the 2,078317º of longitude and 41,381611º of latitude. It is situated at 122m (average) over the line of the sea. The maximum height is located at 405 meters above sea level, almost in the top of Turó de Merlès (416.7 m) and the lowest spot of this town is about 40 meters, located at the park of Torreblanca.
The first mention of the town in a document dates back to the year 965. Its coat of arms depicts a blue bell inside a golden rhombus.
The population was 15,874 in 2012.
The town is home to the Walden 7, designed by Ricardo Bofill. The building has 16 stories high and this surface is 31.140 m2. The building has 446 apartments and nowadays live about thousand people. It has three swimming pools on the top.
Apart from that, Sant Just has a viewer near to the Walden. The viewer is a concrete chimney designed by engineer Clifford Tomlinson (1924) and restored by Alfredo Arribas (approx.1985-1996). It’s 105 meters in height and it was the highest chimney in Europe when it was constructed (1924). The viewpoint is on the top accessed by an elevator with transparent floor and ceiling. Besides, the chimney has a widescreen restaurant high in a metallic ring high with panoramic views.
Moreover, Sant Just has some ancient farmhouses that are regarded like patrimony of the town. Those are Can Campreciós (1326), Can Ginestar (1403), Can Segrera (1709), Can Cardona(1306), Can Solanes(S. XVI-XVII), Can Pedrosa(1077), Can Carbonell(S. XIX)etc.
The economy of St. Just is based by industrial sector and the service sector, which have a high specialization. The most important industries are chemical-pharmaceutical, perfume, machinery manufacturing, electrical equipment manufacturing and precision instruments. For services are machinery rental, whole sale trade and income distribution.
It is a Mediterranean climate. It has a mild climate, warm in winter and very hot in summer. The temperature in Sant Just Desvern is always positive, seldom goes down zero degrees. The temperature is between 5 degrees and 30 degrees.
The rain is not very common in Sant Just Desvern, usually it rains between 1-5days a month. Rainfalls aren’t abundant and mainly are in autumn and spring. It rains between 450–500 mm every year.
Sant Just has a particular tradition. Since 1976, every year they organize a bearings kart race in the town (karts de coixinets). The karts are constructed for the participants and they don’t have any motor. The kart is driven for two people, the driver and the runner. The karts go down a descend during all the race.
Since 1980, Sant Just has the gang of the giants. The giants are Pastor (3,6 m height and 38 kg), Justa (3,55 height and 37 kg), Monserrat (2,1 height and 11 kg), Gentil (3,90height and 60 kg), Flordeneu (3,7 m height and 31 kg) and the giant of Canigó that belongs to the School Canigó). Giants go to walk and dance each town festival.
Sant Just has a gang called dragons created in 2010. They are the main people who organize the fireworks in the town. Those fireworks aren’t in the sky; they are on the street floor. The demons burn some ceptrot (a kind of torches but with sparks) and the people dance under it. It is very common in some towns in Catalonia and other kind of fireworks.
Another gang of Sant Just Desvern is the Dragons. When it is time of fireworks the dragon walk along the town dancing with them. The dragon throws fire and sparks, therefore, comes together with the demons.
Centers of culture
The Casal de Joves is another cultural association but this one is destined for a young people. The association organizes some workshops. It has public room with computers and different areas to play games.
Sant Just Desvernhas a public kinder Garden called “Marrecs”. After that, it has three State Schools for the age between 3 and 12 years (School Monserrat, School Canigó and School Montseny). The secondary school is called Institut of Sant Just Desvern. It doesn’t have any Universities.
Between (0-3):Noah’s Ark, Children’s Park, Tictac, Abc kínder Garden, School Pro, La Casita De Lore, Madre Sacrament
Between (3-18):La Miranda,Princess Margaret School, School Palcam,School Mare de Déu of Núria
Sant Just Desvern has two sports facilities and the Futbol Club Sant Just Desvern. There are two hiking associations: Secció Excursionista de l’Ateneu Sanjustenc (SEAS) and Els Isard. It also has a hockey club, a cycling club and a sardana dance group.
- La Bonaigua: (gym and swimming pools): Pg.De la Muntanya
- Can Melich: (gym, tennis, paddle, swimming pools and squash): Av. Once Septiembre
- Policy : Daniel Cardona i Civit, Antoni Malaret i Amigó, Ferran Mascarell i Canalda, Josep Maria Rañé.
- Literature: Joan Margarit i Consarnau
- Music: Lleonard Balada Ibañez, Puertas Brothers
- Theater and cinema: Clara Segura, Ferran Rañé i Blasco
- Television: Àngel Casas, Carlos Latre
Sites of interest
- Library Joan Margarit: Street Carles Mercader, 17, 08960 Sant Just Desvern, Barcelona, Spain
- City hall of Sant Just desvern: Plaça de Verdaguer, 2, 08960 Sant Just Desvern, Spain
- "Ajuntament de Sant Just Desvern". Generalitat of Catalonia. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "El municipi en xifres: Sant Just Desvern". Statistical Institute of Catalonia. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- http://www.santjust.com/agenda21/pdf/diagnosi_ambiental.PDF Retrieved 5 November 2013
- Idescat: http://www.idescat.cat/emex/?id=082212#h4 retrieved 5 November 2013
- Walden: http://www.walden7.com/ retrieved 5 November 2013
- Viewer (Mirador)http://www.elmirador.cat/#menu-item-1320 Retrieved 6 November 2013
- church of Sant Just Desvern: http://www.poblesdecatalunya.cat/element.php?e=229 Retrieved 6 November 2013
- farmhouses: http://www.poblesdecatalunya.cat/municipi.php?m=082212 Retrieved 6 November 2013
- main sectors: http://www.santjust.com/agenda21/pdf/diagnosi_ambiental.PDF Retrieved 6 November 2013
- temperature: http://ca.storm247.com/el-temps/119172203/clima Retrieved 6 November 2013
- rainfalls: http://enciclopedia.us.es/index.php/Clima_mediterr%C3%A1neo Retrieved 6 November 2013
- karts: http://www.kartsdecoixinets.org/Retrieved[permanent dead link] on November 6, 2013
- gigants:http://www.santjust.org/geganters/gegants.html Retrieved on November 6, 2013
- dragons: http://www.santjust.org/drac/index.php Retrieved on November 6, 2013
- History Ateneu: http://santjust.org/ateneu/historia.html Retrieved on November 6, 2013
- Ateneu: http://santjust.org/ateneu/index.html Retrieved on November 6, 2013
- Casal de Joves: http://www.casaldejoves.com/ Retrieved on November 6, 2013
- Public school in Sant Just: http://www.paginasamarillas.es/escuelas-publicas/all-ma/barcelona/all-is/sant-just-desvern/all-ba/all-pu/all-nc/1 Retrieved on November 6, 2013
- Private school in Sant Just: http://www.paginasamarillas.es/colegios-privados/all-ma/barcelona/all-is/sant-just-desvern/all-ba/all-pu/all-nc/1 Retrieved on November 6, 2013
- Panareda Clopés, Josep Maria; Rios Calvet, Jaume; Rabella Vives, Josep Maria (1989). Guia de Catalunya, Barcelona: Caixa de Catalunya. ISBN 84-87135-01-3 (Spanish). ISBN 84-87135-02-1 (Catalan).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sant Just Desvern.|