Kościół Wizytek ‹See Tfd›(in Polish)
|Town or city||Warsaw|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Karol Antoni Bay|
Church of St. Joseph of the Visitationists (Polish: Kościół Opieki św. Józefa w Warszawie) commonly known as the Visitationist Church (Polish: Kościół Wizytek) is a Roman Catholic church in Warsaw, Poland, situated at Krakowskie Przedmieście 34. One of the most notable rococo churches in Poland's capital, its construction was begun in 1664 and completed in 1761.
The first wooden church was established in 1651 by Queen Marie Louise Gonzaga de Nevers for the French Order of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This church was burned down by the Swedes during the Deluge in 1656.
In 1664 the Visitationists started to build a new oblong church. The first stone was laid by primate Wacław Leszczyński. This unfinished church burned in 1695. After the fire, the church was restored again. The new foundation was made in 1728 by a stateswoman Elżbieta Sieniawska following the plan of her private architect Karol Antoni Bay. The structural work was finished in 1761. The finishing touch was finally given in 1765.
The nave with main altar and 6 side chapels in Baroque style are embellished with rich Rococo decorations. There is an impressive and unique pulpit in a shape of boat and also a lot of old sculptures, paintings by old Polish, Italian and French masters (including Saint Louis de Gonzaga by Daniel Schultz), portraits of famous and noble Poles and tabernacle made of ebony and silver. This exceptional tabernacle, which initially was placed in the chapel of Villa Regia Palace in Warsaw, was donated to the church by Queen Marie Louise Gonzaga de Nevers in 1654.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Visitation Order church in Warsaw.|
- St Martin's Church
- Church of the Holy Cross
- Field Cathedral of the Polish Army
- St. Florian's Cathedral
- Stefan Kieniewicz, ed. (1984). Warszawa w latach 1526-1795 (in Polish). Warsaw. ISBN 83-01-03323-1.
- Frederick Niecks. "Frederick Chopin, as a Man and Musician". Project Gutenberg. Retrieved 2008-02-12.
- "Kościół sióstr wizytek". dziedzictwo.ekai.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 2008-02-12.
- Juliusz Chrościcki (1973). "Kościół Wizytek". sztuka.net (in Polish). Retrieved 2008-02-12.